NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Mount for Pulsar Observatory for Unguided Imaging and Remote Control

DeepSkyMan

Hi there guys, hope Xmas prep is going well 🙂   

Posted this question in an attempt perhaps to push me into a decision.  I’m targeting a mount capable of delivering unguided imaging for an instrument load of about 20Kg over about 20mins.  Of the mounts out there the majority of the key players are way to rich for my blood.  Considering I’m located in the U.K. I’m also more attracted to a European supplier (potential shipping, support costs), that being the case I’ve come to a short list one:

10 Micron HPS 1000 

Just wondering if there are other options to consider.  I saw some marketing on the ASA DDM60 Pro the other day and thought that was the way to go, only to find out that ASA have dropped them from production 😞   Hoping for some inspirational feedback.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Unguided for 20 mins at what focal length may I ask, that is the key question.

For longer focal length imaging the only two mounts I have seen setup regularly in remote observatories to do unguided imaging with long exposures are the 10Micron 2000 HPS and Planewave Ascension 200HR. But the recommended max exposure time is usually 10 minutes, and not 20, but I will admit those are for high payloads.

What is your reason for wanting unguided imaging, as premium mounts behave very well when guiding? Once setup you shouldn’t need to think about them at all.

Your best bet would be a S/H ASA DDM 85. Although I don't run 20 min exposurs, I do run 17 1/2 min at 2040 mm. 20kg is a bit near the limit for a DDM 60, which is 25kg.

But short of prising it from someone's cold dead hands, your only hope is for someone upgrading to a DDM100.

Other than that look at Planewave, but the cheapest is still more than £13k

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Your best bet would be a S/H ASA DDM 85. Although I don't run 20 min exposurs, I do run 17 1/2 min at 2040 mm. 20kg is a bit near the limit for a DDM 60, which is 25kg.

But short of prising it from someone's cold dead hands, your only hope is for someone upgrading to a DDM100.

That could be hard, as one would have thought most DDM 60/85/100 owners would have made  the necessary provisions to take them to the grave with them......😊

• Haha 1

On 23/12/2021 at 10:46, 7170 said:

Unguided for 20 mins at what focal length may I ask, that is the key question.

For longer focal length imaging the only two mounts I have seen setup regularly in remote observatories to do unguided imaging with long exposures are the 10Micron 2000 HPS and Planewave Ascension 200HR. But the recommended max exposure time is usually 10 minutes, and not 20, but I will admit those are for high payloads.

What is your reason for wanting unguided imaging, as premium mounts behave very well when guiding? Once setup you shouldn’t need to think about them at all.

I’ve noted over the years the trials and tribulations of my fellow astronomers coping with a mish-mash of  software, hardware solutions and mangled nests of cabling, stumbling up the ever steepening learning curve, and I have no desire to repeat the cycle, so I’m just looking to make my life easier from the outset. 🙂

• 10 months later...