NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax visual back

I am going to change the back of my 127 to the SCT size. I bought an adapter from eBay and it didn’t fit. The adapter is M44.5 as is all the ones I’ve seen apart from the FLO adapter which states it’s a M45.4. Where can I buy one that fits? 

Look to see if the adapter is already on your 127 Mak's rear port.  If it does, it can be screwed off to verify what I'm saying if you grab it with a rubber jar lid grip to avoid cutting your fingertips on the threads.  The factory did not change the rear port opening or thread size, they just included the SCT thread adapter with newer Maks.

I have one 127 Mak that I had to buy this part to bring it up to SCT thread size, and a newer 127 Mak (for my adult daughter) that came with the exact same adapter already installed.

Have you tried threading a 2" SCT visual back onto the existing rear threads to see if it fits?  My daughter's Mak came with a 2" SCT visual back from the factory.  Perhaps yours came with a 1.25" SCT visual back.

• Like 1

It’s definitely not got any adapter on the back and when I measure it it’s 45mm. The one I bought from eBay said that it was M44.5 and it was too small (just). The one that FLO sells is M45.4 ?. I think I’ll just buy the one from FLO and cross my fingers 

28D6508B-A223-41E7-B647-9EBD0C4D0464.thumb.jpeg.71bd3d113ba56b5d2b1639351dad6897.jpeg

1 minute ago, Zermelo said:

Here's another thread about the 127 visual back(s), with pictures of the older "Mak" threading.

The Mak thread is about 45mm, if it's already got an SCT thread it should be about 50mm.

Thanks, that’s the information I went with and bought this one from eBay. I just measured it again and it’s 45mm. I will order another one but this time from FLO. I will see if I can grab a Baader SCT visual back at the same time. Thanks again 

2 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I used the FLO adapter mentioned by Louis, with a Baader SCT 2" visual back.

Which Baader visual back was it please?. All the multitude of Baader fittings and adapters can be confusing (to me anyway). Thanks 

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Which Baader visual back was it please?. All the multitude of Baader fittings and adapters can be confusing (to me anyway). Thanks 

I got this one: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/baader-sct-to-2-adapter-2408140.html#a2408140

which is a simple compression ring, but nice and solid.

If you prefer, there's also a clicklock version:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2-for-celestron-meade-sct.html

• Thanks 1