Moon, Orion and Rosette

Kon

The night did not look promising in terms of the weather with clouds coming in and out but I managed a 'split' session starting with the moon. Seeing was very stable despite the clouds and it looked pretty sharp at fairly high magnifications. I was drawn to Posidonius, a rather flat looking crater and Lacus Mortis. Aristoteles and Eudoxus also looked really sharp. The weather turned to worst and I was out again when the moon had set. Orion was appearing in my SSE horizon. I started with M42 and nice nebulosity. I could not see many features as before probably due the unstable weather. I then tried my Hb and OIII filters on it, but both were rather underwhelming tonight. The Hb showed a few features but not as good as in previous reports. I wanted to have a go at Witches Head nebula. I could not see anything without a filter and I may have seen a glimpse with my OIII but I am not sure I can claim it; I think a saw some streak of lighter patch compared to the background but not convinced. I tried my Hb for the Flame nebula but nothing either tonight, so I did not bother with the Horsehead. I finally moved to the Rosette as it was clearing the trees.  I used my OIII and there it was, standing from the background; a nice huge circular nebulosity with an almost empty core filled with stars, a bit like a giant donut. I remember seeing it last year but I had forgotten how big it was. By the end, clouds had completely covered the night sky and my session was over; the rest of the weeks is looking pants 😒.

A very pleasant night with some familiar targets.  I also managed a few moon shots and M42 for a bit of fun.

moon1012.png.aa4431467dca34d9cfda70ea001615b9.png265238251_10165901893815707_4668953874139650319_n.jpg.e1ed297789de1b164358f054633c6fa3.jpg

• Like 7

The Rosette is an excellent and as you indicate expansive O-III target to explore. Concerning the Flame, it will respond more so to particular exit pupil scale and fairly narrow field of view. For example my personal eyepiece that has yielded the most engaging impression; that is the central dark 'branch lines' is a 10mm Delos applied at around 2mm exit pupil. Definitely no H-beta filter on the Flame, my own choice is for no filter. Yes certainly transparency has to be spot on for the Flame. Witches Head Nebula is visually very difficult, a very faint and very large reflection nebula, possibly improbable, filters will not assist, not sure I know of anyone by traditional means that has gained anything of that, maybe Gerry might have had a whiff I'm not sure. 

Orion Nebula will in the coming months provide plenty to indulge, such as M43 and NGC 1977 Running Man (reflection) nebula. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@scarp15Thanks for the suggestions Iain. I was only using my ES 24mm for the whole night; I was under the impression that the Flame would be rather large so quite intriguing to know that a higher mag is better (I will try it next time if seeing permits). I personally find Alnitak too bright (or do you try to get it out of the FOV?).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

@scarp15Thanks for the suggestions Iain. I was only using my ES 24mm for the whole night; I was under the impression that the Flame would be rather large so quite intriguing to know that a higher mag is better (I will try it next time if seeing permits). I personally find Alnitak too bright (or do you try to get it out of the FOV?).

Exactly, the Flame would be a very impressive visual target but for the brightness of Alnitak, yet it is this star to which it is associated with, igniting the hydrogen gas cloud, which in turn is integral to the massive expanse of the Orion Molecular Cloud (star forming) Complex. 

The Flame is quite large and keeping Alnitak just out of the field of view will assist to detect the central dark lanes of the nebula. Because of the contrast required, it is sensitive to exit pupil and this could vary from person to person, as does whether a (such as UHC type) filter will or will not assist. On a good night, the Flame can become an engaging subject, of course dark adaption, no moon, very good transparency are all required. Again with eyepiece selection, good to experiment, but probably something around mid power, may glean the best out of this. Plenty of time, Orion is still emerging and needs to gain in prominence at a more reasonable time of night for most of us. 

• Like 2