Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rookie mistake

I had this odd feeling through the night that something was wrong after a rushed set up.  Just collected 6 1/2 hours of what appears at first glance to be good data - except its all in jpgs 😖

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Albastars said:

Just collected 6 1/2 hours of what appears at first glance to be good data - except its all in jpgs 

Would be interesting to see what you have managed to capture. It might not be as bad as you think.

Edited by AstroMuni

On 09/12/2021 at 09:56, AstroMuni said:

Would be interesting to see what you have managed to capture. It might not be as bad as you think.

FWIW, this is just registered, stacked and auto stretched with no calibration frames.  I guess if I worked on it there might be a reasonable image in there somewhere.

But moving on, I was out last night and hopefully got 5 hours on the Pacman.  Thats my third attempt in 10 days - the first try was ruined by gusting winds.

Pacman-Fail.jpg

On 11/12/2021 at 09:39, Albastars said:

FWIW, this is just registered, stacked and auto stretched with no calibration frames.  I guess if I worked on it there might be a reasonable image in there somewhere

It looks great. If you cropped the image and then did your stretching I reckon it would turn out a lot better. And as you said, adding calbration frames should help. Wouldnt have guessed that its from compressed jpg images.

I have taken the liberty to quickly process your image from above in Siril and here is what it looks like :) So I am sure you can get a lot more from your original one. So all in all not wasted effeort in my beginners opinion. I would have been chuffed if I got anything like this. Good luck.

pacman.thumb.png.20cb6dcbc84a080b07e40fa13f84b4e3.png

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

It looks great. If you cropped the image and then did your stretching I reckon it would turn out a lot better. And as you said, adding calbration frames should help. Wouldnt have guessed that its from compressed jpg images.

I have taken the liberty to quickly process your image from above in Siril and here is what it looks like :) So I am sure you can get a lot more from your original one. So all in all not wasted effeort in my beginners opinion. I would have been chuffed if I got anything like this. Good luck.

I'm impressed, there is a lot hiding in that jpg.  Thanks for taking a look. 

Rather than work on it though, I got another 4+hrs on the Pacman, this time in RAW.  This is my processing so far but I've blown the big stars in the nebula - I'm learning about processing all the time, so I'll probably go back to it.

Pacman-Sq.jpg

• Like 1