Jump to content



New Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

34 Excellent

About Albastars

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I was out last night, not expecting great images because of the moon, but testing my setup - Fornax Lightrack II and Sony A7riii plus 100-400mm lens at 400mm. With my best Polar alignment yet, I managed my first reasonable 3min sub but, to be honest, I was hoping for better. When viewed at 100% there isn't much difference between the 2 and 3min subs but there is clear trailing at 4min. Can anyone comment on whether I should be able to get 4mins at 400mm? Or maybe I should refrain from pixel peeping? Its noticeable in all the subs below that the smaller stars have the appearance oh 1/2
  2. It may be galaxy season but my 400mm zoom comes up a little too short so I was happy to discover the Iris Nebula. I managed 4hrs 40 mins on it a couple of nights ago. Sony A7riii, Sony 100-400mm @400mm ISO 800, 140 x 2min subs, F5.6 Stacking and most of the stretching done in Siril, finished in Affinity Photo. I was pleased with my first effort below until I saw this APOD - https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160506.html The bottom picture is my latest effort.
  3. Thank you. As long as we enjoy it, I don't think we should worry about levels. I think my aim is to enjoy the learning and make the best images I can without throwing too much money at it - for now, at least! I was out last night and come up against a balancing problem. I was imaging Bode's Galaxy and hit balance problems as the camera/lens were hanging off the side - too much torque on the tripod head I think. Hopefully, the new wedge will help but I probably need a counterweight system - £££££
  4. Thanks everyone for your comments. Appreciated. Clear skies forecast for tonight!
  5. Thanks. I've now added the focal length and f stop to my original post but the settings were 400mm/f5.6.
  6. Hi everyone, My first post and one of my first DSO images - M101. I am really happy with this but realise that I have a long way to go to. I have no background astonomy experience beyond finding Polaris and recognising a couple of constellations. Any comments/advice would be welcome on how I can improve within the scope of my equipment . I seem to have settled on Siril for stacking, background extraction and stretching Mount - Fornax Lightrack II with Manfrotto 410 head acting as a wedge (about to be replaced with the Fornax wedge) Camera - Sony A7riii (42MB, full frame a
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.