NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Mount!

Sunshine

In the past year I have been contemplating an Alt-Az mount for use with my 102 on those night when I’m not imaging planets, I wasn’t sure which one as I have no experience with Alt-az mounts. Just today I pulled the trigger on one I saw in the classifieds (Universal Astronomics Doublestar Tandem) which seems to be a great mount and a bit rare. It attracted me due to its capacity as in the future I can just smell a TSA-120, with a 40lb on right and 30 on left for total 70lbs I think it will be an alt-az mount for life.

let me know your thoughts! 

1CF023A4-A121-44A1-8344-DC062A90F3CC.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nakedgun said:

I had one of their smaller capacity mounts several years back, yours is considerably more robust.

Let us know your thoughts once you've had time under your belt with it.

Good to hear, I understand they’re good mounts, the image I posted is not my image but the sellers posted image, I am picking it up next weekend, did you like yours? I hear they’re built well.

It looks a very interesting and unusual mount. Universal Astronomics mounts are quite scarce here in the UK which is unfortunate because, from what I've read about them, they are very capable. There was one dealer over here who distributed them but they closed down a few years ago.

I had their smallest alt-az mount for a while - known as the Dwarfstar. That had quite a lot of capacity for it's tiny size and weighed practically nothing.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the UA Doublestar Tandem :smiley:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, John said:

It looks a very interesting and unusual mount. Universal Astronomics mounts are quite scarce here in the UK which is unfortunate because, from what I've read about them, they are very capable. There was one dealer over here who distributed them but they closed down a few years ago.

I had their smallest alt-az mount for a while - known as the Dwarfstar. That had quite a lot of capacity for it's tiny size and weighed practically nothing.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the UA Doublestar Tandem :smiley:

Yes it does, apparently this particular model there were only 40 made, a total 70lb capacity 40 on right and 30 on left is quite a lot. It also allows for precise alignment of scopes on both sides so they are both looking at same object at the eyepiece, interesting. 

can’t wait!

• Like 2