NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Travelscope 70

I've just purchased a preowned Celestron Travelscope 70 for £50. I'm using it as a way to get back into astronomy after having difficulties in the past. I'm thinking this attempt will be more successful as the scope will be easier to setup than my previous scopes.  Also my 3 year old Son is fascinated by the moon and stars so I'm hoping to take him out on a few excursions. So a quick setup is important so he doesn't get bored.

I am aware of some issues with setup such as the tripod and eyepieces but I intend to replace these at some point.  Do you guys have any recommendations for replacements? Also any recommendations for a phone holder and solar filter?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Firaxia

This was my first telescope and it was a good learning tool. I ditched the tripod straightaway and upgraded to this mount. If you don’t care about Go-To and want to keep things manual then I’m fairly certain any other tripod will do 😂

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/mounts/products/az-gti-mount

I got this smartphone adapter and learned a lot with it as well. It’s nice because it has a Bluetooth shutter release button so it’s keeps things steady.

https://www.celestron.com/products/smartphone-adapter-dx-kit-1-25

I’m assuming you’re fine with the supplied eyepieces that come with the scope yea? If not then I’d recommend this one…it’s my favorite eyepiece still to this day.

https://www.celestron.com/products/8-24mm-zoom-eyepiece-125in?_pos=1&_sid=3f9aa5204&_ss=r

• Like 2

Yeah, I used this scope a while back about 10 years ago for a few years as my only scope. Tripod is pants, so used a much better photo tripod. Other than that got some decent widefield views with it. Good on lunar and planets, and OK for brighter fuzzies too if you keep expectations low and don’t expect too much. 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Yeah, I used this scope a while back about 10 years ago for a few years as my only scope. Tripod is pants, so used a much better photo tripod. Other than that got some decent widefield views with it. Good on lunar and planets, and OK for brighter fuzzies too if you keep expectations low and don’t expect too much. 👍🏻

I'm not expecting too much from it. An opportunity to spend quality time with my Son and indulge my fascination with all things space.

• Like 2

Celestron Travelscope 70 has surprisingly good optics for what it is. Like everyone has already said, the tripod is not usable, but any half decent photo tripod or small alt az astronomy mount will work well. I used mine on a monopod and swivel head but that may not be suitable for the little'n. The finder is no good and unnecessary. A decent star diagonal and a zoom eyepiece to compliment the 20mm and 10mm that come with it works well to. I picked mine up in a charity shop for £20, bargain!

31 minutes ago, Maideneer said:

I know you got it pre-owned, but did your scope not come with that 10mm EP as well as a 20mm one?

It does but the one on ebay is a plossl. I take it wouldn't be worth it?

4 hours ago, Firaxia said:

Anyone with any thoughts to the tripod?

It looks really plasticky and flimsy. I suspect it would be a waste of money. What budget do you have for a tripod? EBay usually has a large selection of second hand photographic tripods if it doesn't have to be new. 

8 hours ago, Ricochet said:

It looks really plasticky and flimsy. I suspect it would be a waste of money. What budget do you have for a tripod? EBay usually has a large selection of second hand photographic tripods if it doesn't have to be new. 

Doesn't have to be new. Budget is about £30-40 at most.

Hi @Firaxia and weelcome to SGL. :hello2:

When travelling lightweight, I use my photo/video tripod... a Manfrotto PROB and either a ball head or a small and lightweight alt-az mount. (images below).
note: the eyepiece tray in the third image can be removed from the centre column.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG<--- with ball head.

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpegIMG_0734.thumb.JPG.7a13f89a3c7ab5f6dfea068d1d0c1e80.JPG<--- with alt-az mount.

For dual-mounting, I use these alt-az mounts --->IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

...and they can be attached to the photo/video tripod too.

Edited by Philip R

Hi I agree with Philip R you can't go wrong with the Manfrotto tripods  I have two with various heads  including ball head, and video heads all purchased used on  a well known auction site and all proved to be excellent.

I use them with my ST80, 90 mak oat all my binoculars and camera

IMG_0981.JPG

• Thanks 1

Quite a few reviews saying that it isn't up to the normal manfrotto standard and it looks like the ball head can't be removed and breaks easily. You'd probably be better off going for one of the Newer/Zomei/etc clones such as the one below, which is the same price as the Manfrotto you linked. 

Zomei Q555