Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Garrett GT100-45°

Well, I've had my GT 70-90° for quite a while now and have never been disappointed with them. So I thought I would go for more aperture,hence the GT100-45°.

They arrived triple boxed with plenty of bubble wrap and peanuts.

I knew that would be bigger and heavier than my GT70's ,but I was surprised by how much :lol:

I have a Manfrotto 028 tripod with the 503 HDV which coped very well indeed with these bino's.

My first object was unusual for me,it was Venus. I first used the 23mm eyepieces (23x) which are supplied with the GT100's. I noticed straight away that there was a ghost of the crescent in the left tube,not in the right tube. The CA was quite apparent also. Cyan in the left tube and Green in the right tube. When using both eyes the Cyan won.

The image itself was quite good,if somewhat colourful. I then tried the supplied 13mm (41x) eyepieces. The problem did not change in any way. Perhaps filters may help towards lowering the CA.

Next up was the Moon. Again CA reared it's ugly head. It was manageable though with very good views.

I thought I would try a couple Of eyepieces I had to see what happened. I can only try one tube at a time though with only having one of each of my other eyepieces :blob8:

First to go in one tube was my Baader Genuine Ortho's. Shock horror, they wouldn't come to focus. In fact they were a long way off coming to focus. Next in were my Brandon's. No problem at all. Very nice views with these. I don't really want to double up on these,due to cost.

My UWAN's were next (not the 28mm of course) I was really surprised with these. The view of the Moon with the 7mm (that's a huge 76x) was excellent,if a little dimmer. Whether I could merge images at this mag remains to be seen.

I did have a quick look at Saturn. The best view was in the supplied 13mm eyepieces. I must say that my view to the South is over very close rooftops,not so good.

The first star I viewed was Mizar which was a very clean split at 23x. While I was in the area I tried for M51,which I find difficult most of the time. It was easy and I even spotted the core.

Next were my usual targets. M45 and the double cluster. Which are always like diamonds on Black velvet. Next was M36 M37 M38 in Auriga.I resolved all three better then I've ever done before.

The stars are pinpoints of light for 70% of the FOV,falling off slightly in the outer FOV. I am pleased with my first light. These do look a promising binocular to me.

It would have been nice to get end caps for the focusers and eyepieces. I should be able to sort this out though. The mechanics of the focusers and IPD adjustment is very smooth.

I was a lille worried about viewing at the Zenith. There was enough friction to keep the eyepieces in place. The UWAN's were a little loose though. I can sort that I think.

Well, it's late and I'm tired. Also I'm not to good on reports :)

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Hi Darren.

I've had them out a couple of times now. I am pleased with them. I'm into clusters and little asterisms. They are very good at what I bought them for.

The most difficult target for me in my other bino's was M51. It was a cinch in these. Well, they do give me a extra 30mm of aperature over my other binoscope.

The CA on bright objects can be troubling,but I didn't buy them for solar system views. I have been wondering about MV filters. I am going to borrow one before shelling out for two. They are useable on the Moon though for quick looks.

Regards.

Glen.

I have done a update on another website. So I might as well do a little one on here just for interest.

I was eager to try my Baader Geniune Ortho's in the new binocular. I did get a surprise when none of them would come to focus :)

Next I tried my set of Brandon's. Everything went well with these and the 'fit' was very good. They made no difference to the CA. by the way.

I thought I would try a high power (76x) eyepiece which was my 7mm UWAN. Staggering on the Moon. It worked really well and the fit was pretty good. I only had one 7mm UWAN,so I had to use each tube in turn. Whether I could merge the image at 76x remains to be seen.

Last of all I tried some Scopetronix Plossls. These were quite a loose 'fit' but supplied with the bino's are 10 small acrylic bands to use on eyepieces that are a little loose. These worked very well indeed. The view was very similar to the supplied eyepieces. Some more testing to see which give the better view.

Glen.

I was eager to try my Baader Geniune Ortho's in the new binocular. I did get a surprise when none of them would come to focus :)

That isn't unusual Glen. Here in the UK the GT100-45 is known as the Helios Quantum 5 binocular. We tend not to mention the 1.25" eyepiece fitting as the supplied eyepieces are designed specifically for the binocular and most other eyepieces are either not a good match and/or don't fit well without modification.

HTH

Hi Steve,

Yeh, some fit and focus and others don't. The owners of these Stateside have been trying everything they have in their eyepiece collection and posting updates. There have been a few QA issues with them as well. I believe they are made in China at United Optics and just badged whatever.

On the whole I like them. They will be keepers for me. If you don't like CA there may be a problem. Got to get a finder sorted for them yet.

Have you seen the new 150mm :)

Glen.

Archived