NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One hour before the fog

Marvin Jenkins

Grabbed the 130 newt and decided to seize the moment. Observing right now and Jupiter is a fantastic sight just a short distance above the moon. Three moons one side, two the other, but farthest one out I suspect to be a background star of equal magnitude.

Before Venus dipped too low to the horizon I was amazed to see a perfect phase perhaps 60%?

Our moon is really showing off and the A15 landing site nearly poked my eye out. To anyone else out there, enjoy the view. I am onto Saturn now as the fog is building.

Marvin

• Like 7

Just got inside and looked it all up. The farthest of the two moons of Jupiter was background star (45 Cap) at mag 5.95 so very close. Venus turned out to have a phase of 42.2%. I have observed the phase before but I am no expert. Perhaps the amazing brightness fooled me. Saturn was crisp and easily showing Titan but I didn't have the mag tonight for the Cassini Division sadly.

Marvin

10 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Marvin. Nice report, I have been watching Jupiter and it's moons inch ever closer to 45 Capricorni every night. Interesting as 45 Cap is masquerading as a fifth Galilean moon! 

I would love to have more than one night in a row to see the orbital progress and especially in relation to any back ground stars but the weather…….! The incredible alignment and almost perfect magnitude had me wondering about that fifth moon.

How is the Astro from Perth? My brother lives in Melbourne and is a citizen now but lives right next to the Stadium so doubt if he has seen a star in years.

Marv

• Like 1

Hey Marv, the Astro is great from Perth at the moment as we are entering summer so lots of cloud free nights 👍. Only downside for me is sun setting later and later so can only start observing later, plus light pollution at my site. Otherwise it's all good. I wonder if your brother is getting any observations done in Melbourne, the weather there is more cloudy there. Clear skies to you!

• Thanks 1