NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second scope

So I was thinking of a small, lightweight refractor as a second scope and was looking at the SW ST80 (£189), but then I came across a Meade Adventure 80 (£99). My question is, are these the same scope? And if so, why the big price difference? I’m not bothered about the accessories that come with them really as I already have eyepieces. Many thanks.

Hi , I honestly don't know the Meade scope but I have owned an st80 .. its a great little scope that you will use for scanning the skies, and viewing the Moon just like you would with a decent pair of binoculars.  

You might want to consider a 90mm frac ,from SVbony which is nice and compact and is supplied with a dual speed focuser.. its about 80 pounds more than the st80 but when you consider the extra aperture, focuser and the nice aluminium case it comes in is worth considering.  Also it will open up more viewing options.  Planets will appear larger for one 

Just my opinion of course

I'm sure you will get many others in here.  

Stu 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

15 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi , I honestly don't know the Meade scope but I have owned an st80 .. its a great little scope that you will use for scanning the skies, and viewing the Moon just like you would with a decent pair of binoculars.  

You might want to consider a 90mm frac ,from SVbony which is nice and compact and is supplied with a dual speed focuser.. its about 80 pounds more than the st80 but when you consider the extra aperture, focuser and the nice aluminium case it comes in is worth considering.  Also it will open up more viewing options.  Planets will appear larger for one 

Just my opinion of course

I'm sure you will get many others in here.  

Stu 

Thanks for the reply. That 90mm looks good but probably a bit more than I want to pay right now, which is why I’m hoping the Meade and SW are the same scope. A quick scan of the skies is what I’m after really. For those times when there’s a few gaps in the cloud, but it’s not really worth lugging my 200p out into the garden

• Like 1

Some folk seem to quite like the Meade https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/694230-quick-review-of-the-meade-80mm-ota-adventure-scope/

I have an orion st80 and it's great for wide field grab & go, and for taking away from home. Mine is on a fairly lightweight manfrotto travel tripod, but pretty much any £30 plus photo tripod would do nicely,,

While the actual telescopes are very similar , a quick search suggests to me that the sw comes on an az3 mount, while the Meade looks to be in an even more cheap and flimsy photo type tripod, which may account for the price difference. Even if you plan to put it on a sturdier mount, I'd go for the Meade , it's cheaper than just the sw OTA !

Heather

• Like 1

SW Star Travel 80, Meade adventure 80,  Orion ST80, Celestron Powerseeker 80AZS, Astromaster 80AZS. - all pretty much the same scope.

Pick your mounting: rings/small dovetail/side brackets

Pick your colour

Pick your finder

Pick your diagonal

• Like 1