NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Broad overview of the sky and equipment

bomberbaz

The title actually says it as it is. It has been a good while since I got my eyeball proton wetted and with a trip to galloway coming up it seemed tonights clear sky was an ideal opportunity to give the dob a whirl around and check all my other equipment.

First thing before getting started I checked any equipment that used batteries, good job I did. Both red torches and my observing head torches batteries were goosed. One set especially looked as though it was ready to leak.

One thing I have noticed when panning around it the dob moves a lot easier in AZ when pointing low down, this I assume will be the bearings taking the weight differently and so this affects it freedom to move. Not a major issue but something I need to be aware of for high power viewing.

The DSC system is a dream to use now I have got to grip with it, even with a slight slope to contend with I got within 1/4 of a degree everytime with it and I didn't carry out a particularly good alignment  compared to my usual OTT aligning method. One thing I particularly like about DSC over GOTO is you are still looking at where things are as it uses the skysafari app on the phone and really without trying I find I am learning more as I go.  It has a great viewing red screen filter and you can setup your viewing list on a planner.

Moving on, tested out my new TS 28mm UWA eyepiece and it was as I would expect, a very good quality piece of glass. I didn't go mad but a view of Albireo and the double cluster was enough to tell me it is well up to the job.

Now I have never used my new viewing hood until tonight, I found it slightly awkward to use as there is so much stray light around so it needs to be a good seal or the slight light intrusions are more annoying than the flood of light from many directions without it, yes my garden really is that bad. Anyway I tested it out on a few objects including albireo, and the double cluster as well as M31, M18 and some others. The one that gave me the best result was without doubt M18 which, cranked up to x200 looked exquisite.

I am really looking forward to observing with the hood in a darker setting where extraneous light is not going to be a problem, observing with both eye's open is far more relaxing.

Other things checked were a couple of nebula using filters, these being M57 & 97. I have a UHC-s filter from baader, useless on the owl although ok-ish on 57. The astronomik filters (UHC-OIII) were both far better on the owl but on the night under the heavy light polution is was the OIII which performed the best.  I quickly switched to M27 dumbell and the OIII worked superbly on this, really got a great shape with hints of additional structure.  I don't think the baader filter is a poor filter, it just doesn't perform very well under bad LP skies.

So all in I am pleased with my little session and feel confident for my trip to galloway, here's hoping the weather is kind.

Steve

• Like 6

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant if I ever get a dob I will get one of those DSC systems rather than faffing about with goto

The one I got came fitted to my dob as a paid for extra and cost me quite a bit but when you are using it, you realise it is worth every penny.

The other advantage over goto is it is silent and as mentioned, you are still looking to the night sky and the skysafari app as you go along so it is more interactive in that way. 

I should mention it is also fitted with a telrad and this does get some use. 🙃

• Like 1