NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A neighbourly conundrum

RobertI

My very nice neighbour asked me to help her 8 year old granddaughter to see some things in the sky with her new astronomy telescope. I happily agreed and popped over to be greeted by this wonderful chap: 

EB993A6B-B055-4090-ABAF-E16B2635CC14.thumb.jpeg.61a8059673b5c4c37bd91009ea59b2fd.jpeg5547CF6D-032F-41EE-A9D9-47B94B29CE17.thumb.jpeg.e941bd3bf9022f9ac210f37ab4607b5a.jpeg2A44667F-FF1A-4E96-B0B9-E6B2AD7AC911.thumb.jpeg.d71021afeee6f09421effb60a7e94c69.jpeg

Made entirely from lightweight plastic, it sported a 70mm uncoated plastic singlet objective (stopped down to 30mm), a finder (with insufficient adjustment to align with the main scope), a 6mm plastic eyepiece giving 50x and an incredibly wobbly tripod which made focusing all but impossible.

I asked whether she might prefer to look through one of my telescopes, but sadly it had to be that one. So out we ventured into the cold and wind. After a bit of fiddling around we managed to see the moons of Jupiter, the belts (shown as one) and the rings of Saturn. Frankly, a sensational result for such a bin-worthy scope. Hopefully the granddaughter has been a tiny bit inspired!  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I had a similar telescope when I was young, although mine was longer so presumably a bit slower. CA was phenomenal, but it showed me Alpha Centauri and Jupiter's moons, and yes, I was inspired.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

My very nice neighbour asked me to help her 8 year old granddaughter to see some things in the sky with her new astronomy telescope. I happily agreed and popped over to be greeted by this wonderful chap:

Made entirely from lightweight plastic, it sported a 70mm uncoated plastic singlet objective (stopped down to 30mm), a finder (with insufficient adjustment to align with the main scope), a 6mm plastic eyepiece giving 50x and an incredibly wobbly tripod which made focusing all but impossible.

I asked whether she might prefer to look through one of my telescopes, but sadly it had to be that one. So out we ventured into the cold and wind. After a bit of fiddling around we managed to see the moons of Jupiter, the belts (shown as one) and the rings of Saturn. Frankly, a sensational result for such a bin-worthy scope. Hopefully the granddaughter has been a tiny bit inspired!  

That's the important bit IMO. It's still a wonder to me that we can do this, let alone with cheap plastic.

Edited by UKDiver
  • Like 1