Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1x rasberry pi dual rig, is it possible?

whipdry

So will the only difference between a single rig and dual be a 2nd main CCD and 2nd focusser, maybe a filter wheel if mono ?
If so then technically  the RPI would be capable of handling the two or 3 extra USB connections (probably via a good hub) what may not be so simple is the software (I assume probably EKOS on a RPi) and whether it can handle the 2nd CCD and focusser.
So the  issue will be getting EKOS to run two imaging sequences, which I have no experience of but have looked about on line and plenty of things on the subject but neve personally perused it so will be interesting to see the replies.
I a pretty sure @Gina was trying to do this with EKOS and KStars a couple of years ago, not sure she didn't end up with 2 RPis though with just one running the mount. 

2 RPi's may well be the easiest way. You may loose a couple of images from the RPi not controlling the mount when it flips mind and I guess you cannot dither without some synchronisation of the two CCD's.

Mmm interesting, often thought of getting a dual imaging rig going but never really thought about all these issues in depth, I think I will follow and see the replies 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Thanks for your reply Steve,

I have a dual rig setup using 2x SGPro running on what has become an unreliable 5th gen i7 laptop... not sure what the issue is but randomly reboots/cuts out. 

Though if a rasberry pi was running everthing once all setup my iffy laptop wouldn't matter... I did try a refurbished NUC mounted on the rig, dead at 18 months so bought new & 7 months in that needed a warranty replacement!

Peter

• Like 1