Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic questions for a permanent pier: concrete and cover options?

SiD the Turtle

Hey folks,

I wanted to make my astrophotography setup semi-permanent, so thinking of putting a pier in the back garden, mounting my HEQ5 on it, and carry out my scope for each session. I've managed to package up the scope and accessories so I can carry it out as one unit and simply hook up power and data on the mount. Then in some far flung future I can build a shed around it, when money and project manager (partner) approval is given!

I'm thinking of getting the 'Altair Skyshed 8 inch Observatory Pier', which is more expensive but has more chance of project manager approval than the more DIY plastic pipe alternatives.

Questions:

1. For the concrete base can I just buy a huge amount of postcrete for the job rather than mixing something up? Ultimately it's kind of like a fence post, isn't it?
  2. I'm assuming I'd want the base to rise out of the ground enough so that the height of the pier isn't lost by a future shed floor? Though I guess as long as I have roof clearance it doesn't really matter as I'm entirely remote observing- nothing visual.
  3. What's best to cover it once it's in place? Thinking a suitable telegizmos cover?

Sid,

Welcome to the permanent pier society!

In order of questions-

Go for mixed concrete as Postcrete can be quite brittle. I used a standard mix of sand/ aggregate/ cement mix  (3/2/1) when I did mine. Mixing by hand in a wheelbarrow make it easier if you haven't got access to a mixer.

You can raise the level of the concrete proud of the surrounding ground if you wish but, if you want to go for a ground level base, you can add a pier extension later if needs be.

I use a Telegizmos cover on mine when the scope isn't fitted. Before I put the cover on, I place an upturned plastic dustbin over the mount as an added buffer.

Whereabouts in Bucks are you?

• Like 1