NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher EQ5 - Some tips please!

Hi,

Have just bought a new Skywatcher EQ5 which comes with a 2x barlow and two optics:

1. Super 25 Long Eye Relief

2. Super 10mm

I have found using the 25mm to get the best results for my first weeks 'viewing'.

I am new, so please be gentle - but could anyone let me know which is the best optics for simple magnification of the Orion Nebulae for example? My goal in the first few weeks is to find Andromeda....

Hope you can help.

Bridget

Hello Bridget - and welcome to Stargazers Lounge Astronomical Forum!

You say you have a Skywatcher EQ5 - but you haven't said what scope you have on the EQ5 mount?

The 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that come with your scope are basic - but quite adequate to give you good views of whatever you are looking at.

However, if you want a wide field low power view of the Orion Nebulae, then you need something like a 2" x 38mm eyepiece. You can pick these up second hand (on here sometimes), but if you want to buy new, look at the "First Light Optics" site on here (Click on the logo above this thread).

In the meantime, I'm sure there will be other colleagues on here who can advise on the many different types of eyepieces you can obtain for your scope.

You do need to put the type and size of scope you have got though - otherwise it will be difficult for people to give advice.

Best wishes,

philsail1

Both the Orion Nebula and the Andromedia galaxy are relatively large in terms of field of view, so to see the whole thing in one go, the 25mm is probably the best to use. Once you have found them using the 25mm, you could pop the 10mm in for a higher magnificaion view, but you wouldn't see the whole thing in the eyepiece, just a part.

Personally, I always use the 25mm for the intial view of anything because it is easier to find things using that one. If you need the higher magnification of the Barlow or the 10mm, put it in once you have the object centered using the 25mm.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Andy

Keep to low power for the Orion Nebula - that's the 25mm eyepiece of the ones you have. You can use the 10mm one to have a closer look at the heart of the nebula and see if you can see the 4 stars of the Trapezium.

Please let us know what scope you have on the EQ5 (which is the mount) and you will get more advice I'm sure.

John

Hi again, thanks for the replies. Here is the spec from the store I bought it from:

Specification:

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48, x96, x120 & x240

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x300

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 150mm

Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/8)

X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)

Parabolic Primary Mirror

ALL Sky-Watcher reflectors are Multi-Coated with Silicon Dioxide as standard for Optimum Durability and Long Term Performance.

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

6x30 Finderscope

Direct SLR Camera Connection

EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount

Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

33% more Light Gathering than 130mm

Hope this helps!

Regards

Bridget

ok its a skywatcher 150pl on a EQ3-2 mount

nice telescope and nice mount but not an EQ5 mount ! not sur eif you've just got mixed up or some other problem.

im sure people will advise you but i've a similar scope and mount and found the 25mm fine for andromeda etc.

I was disappointed when i first found Andromeda. I had read that it can be a very disappointing visual object in a telescope-like a long grey smudge. Imaging can bring out details but i have no plans for any camera work.

However there are a few bits of advice that may improve what you see in general (including M42 orion nebula)

1) find a darkskies site-take your scope to somewhere away from streetlights and it will improve the contrast in what you see. Plus the true nightsky and milkyway are amazing. Maybe buy a skyglow filter-i have one on order from FLO. I've been warned that you may have to try a few different ones to find one that works best for you.

2) dont expect to see the amazing colour images that you see in magazines (unless you use a camera/ccd and some computer software). Most of what you see is in shades of grey. Instead, focus on structure.

3) download Stellarium-fantastic for learning the geography of the sky. Easy to use and FREE. Very highly recommended

4) get hold of a book about Messier objects-invaluable. It will show you black &white photos and drawings which are realistic of what you will see. This will help you recognise them and focus on details.

5) collimate your mirrors. If you are new (like i was a few weeks ago) then the idea of tinkering with bolts and screws is very scary at first. The internet has a wealth of advice on collimation. Some of it is very technical. Watchin a short movie is a good place to start- search for Andysshotglass and collimation.

With a 6 inch scope there is so much to find I am sure you will have fun.

I would try to find comet Lulin if we get a break this weekend. High to the East. Also have a look at Venus and Saturn which are both up.

Then go for some clusters try M35/36/37/38 all high up.

Try the glob cluster M 3 which is rising in the NE above the orange star Arcturus...See if you can make out the stars around the edge of the ball of light.

Finally perhaps try and find a galaxy or two. There are at least 50 visible in your scope over a year. Try M81/82 which are pretty high up to the North or perhaps M51 at the end of the Plugh handle.

Find all these is stellarium before you go out, I suspect you should also download Carte du ciel 9free as well) to allow you to print out maps to use outside otherwise you will be running in and out...

Enjoy

Mark

Archived