Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can a collimation laser harm a barlow?

I noticed collimation changes when you use a reducer and I use my TV Powermate 2x as a reducer as I mostly stick with 2" EPs unless I'm getting real tight in. Coming from a production background, I'd never dream of pointing a laser at a lens but that has way more to do with the sensor than the lens itself (I think?), also pointing into a camera would focus the beam as opposed to diffuse it like I would be going the opposite way into a barlow.

All that being said, I don't know jack about lens coatings.. am I cool to collimate the secondary mirror through a reducer and barlow?

Also is this something everyone has to do when going from 2" to 1.25" EPs? TBH I'm basing this all on the reducer that came with the focuser and for all I know the collimation difference on the TV reducer in the barlow will be less.

• Confused 1

I don't understand. Are you using the powermate to go from 2" to 1.25" because your laser collimator is 1.25"? You would be better off getting a self-centering 2"-1.25" adaptor really. Also, laser collimation is very sensitive to any micro movements of any of the attachments, probably better to use a cheshire sight tube device.

• Like 1

Nothing beats a Concentre for accurate positioning of the secondary. Using a Hotech laser never needed to resort to using a barlowed laser to check the primary collimation..

Still a barlow and a cheap laser( collimated ) is a cheap alternative.

Edited by johninderby