NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M52 NGC 7635 and 7538

mikemabel

Hello

Taken last night before the clouds rolled in as usual

Canon 450d modded 

24x 120s iso 800 cls-ccd filter

Startravel 102 scope on heq5 pro polar aligned no flattener or reducer guided and dithered

Apt and processed in gimp

Im really pleased after my first poor attempt but here goes ...

611634069_M52NGC7538and7635C.thumb.jpg.61dbcfd9acb9ddc4192b990a272fc057.jpg

NGC 7538A.jpg

Edited by mikemabel
Added another image
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, mikemabel said:

Come on then show me yours ! Interested in a comparison this is the first image with my modded 450 and the increase in colour and detail is amazing

Not sure on the usefulness of a comparison here, but this is a quick 10 minute process in Startools with 50 minutes of hydrogen alpha data shot with a dedicated mono astro camera. It'll be a work in progress for several weeks* whilst I collect more data.

*Going by the forecast, more like several months!!

Bubble_Ha_WIP.jpg

Thank you Peter

Your right lazy astronomer  the amount of detail in your image reflects your dedication and skill both of which I lack.

I use to own a mono camera a ZWO 183MM pro and filters bur sold these and went back to using my 450d and try to maximise it's potential when the weather allows.

Clear skies

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikemabel said:

dedication and skill

Don't know about that! 😅

It's mainly the filter doing all the work for me. There's a fair amount of faint nebulosity which benefits greatly from the higher contrast afforded in narrowband. You can actually see a fair amount of it already in your image which is quite impressive and l think shows the difference a modded DSLR makes - have you considered one of those dual-narrowband filters (like the optolong L-extreme) to allow you to take advantage of the mod and really pull out the Ha?

13 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

Don't know about that! 😅

It's mainly the filter doing all the work for me. There's a fair amount of faint nebulosity which benefits greatly from the higher contrast afforded in narrowband. You can actually see a fair amount of it already in your image which is quite impressive and l think shows the difference a modded DSLR makes - have you considered one of those dual-narrowband filters (like the optolong L-extreme) to allow you to take advantage of the mod and really pull out the Ha?

I've looked at them but am loath to spend any more money at the moment. The clip in cls-ccd filter has reduced chromatic aberration significanty though and justified it's addition.

Still Santa is just around the corner and if I concentrate on nebulae then it's more than likely I'll get one.

Good luck with your imaging and clear skies