Cherry Ripe Star

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! I had another satisfying and interesting observing session last night with my 10 inch dob. The presence of the waxing gibbous moon limited observing the fainter deep sky objects, so I went for more appropriate targets:

Venus/Antares conjunction: A beautiful sight! Blazingly bright, white Venus and red Antares made quite the pair less than 2 degrees apart. Venus is looking almost exactly half illuminated. Enjoyed the view of Venus at 300x.

NGC 253: Large spiral galaxy in Sculptor. Elongated and showing signs of mottling at 240x. This was my first time observing this galaxy and it's a testament to its brightness that it was visible despite the moonlight. Must revist once the moon is waning.

Neptune: A wonderfull vivid blue disk. Big Wow moment occurred when I ramped up the magnification to 686x and glimpsed it's Moon Triton. I called my wife to look too and she was also amazed that we could see a moon of the furthest planet in the solar system from our backyard! Gosh astronomy just boggles the mind🤯

57 Pegasi: A lovely double star in Pegasus. It's part of an attractive box like asterism with 55, 58 and 59 Pegasi.

Alya( Theta Serpentis): Beautiful, evenly matched double star in Serpens. Both stars appear a silvery white colour to me. I've never seen that shade of white in the night sky before. I'm in love😍 lol

X Trianguli Australis: This is the star that inspired my headline. A rich red carbon star located in the constellation Triangulum Australae. I've given it the nickname "Cherry Ripe Star" after a popular chocolate here in Australia. It has a marvelous deep red colour.

Saturn: To top of an amazing night I also managed to see another first for me in my astronomical journey, the faint moon Mimas! I've tried countless time to see it but last night was the night. Overjoyed to see it!

It was a fantastic observing session, there is just nothing like being out under the stars enjoying all aspects of our great passion Astronomy! Clear skies to you all.

Joe

• Like 11

Thanks Kon. Triton was winking in and out of visibility, it took my maximum magnification to see it at all. Right at the limit of visibility. Yeah my 10 inch is delivering the goods for sure! Wishing you clear skies mate.

• Like 1

Great report !

Congratulations on Triton and Mimas. I've seen the former reasonably often now but not, so far, the latter.

The next step from Triton (for me) was Titania and Oberon at Uranus - a touch fainter than Triton. In principle a couple more Uranian moons might be visible so more possibilities there as well :thumbright:

• Thanks 1

Thanks John. I'm waiting with anticipation to see Uranus this season. Titania and Oberon must be real tough to see, I couldn't see either of them last year( my first proper year of observing with a telescope). Can't wait to try again!  Clear skies!

Edited by Epick Crom