NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A relaxing night.

Kon

I had a very chilled observing session last night, just some planets and globulars. I was not planning to be out since the weather looked dodgy, clouds coming in and out, but seeing @Johnheads up on Europa transiting Jupiter, I thought why not. I missed the first part of the transition but once I was out, Jupiter showed some really nice details although it did very through the night from sharp to 'boiling'. The GRS was nicely positioned in the centre and it was probably the best I had seen so far. The NEB showed distinct banding and some barges as well (2 obvious ones and a third coming/going with the seeing). At 2340 or so, the Europa shadow came across. I followed it for the first few minutes and then I waited until 1230 to see Europa re-appearing from the face of Jupiter. Jupiter was 'boiling' at this stage but a tiny protrusion appeared at 9oclock (Dob seeing) and then a full disk a few minutes later. That was my first time observing almost the whole transit and seeing the planets in motion is mesmerising.

Saturn looked okish last night. I could not see the Cassini division but only one equatorial band.

While I waited for Europa to reappear, I noticed a smudge of light on my W; it was M13. Moving the Dob there, it took magnification very well compared to Jupiter. I could see individual stars and could resolve a few towards the core. A few more smudges on my NE and there it was Persei, almost feeling my FOV. I upped the magnification and nice coloured stars appeared. M34, C28 and NGC1245 looked amazing as well with all the stars feeling the FOV. 

I finally moved to Uranus; it does not seem to be reported often but somehow I like this diffuse bluish disk among the sharp stars around it, almost like a planetary nebula.

It was nice being out without a list of targets and just observe as things were getting my attention from looking up or from memory.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kon said:

finally moved to Uranus; it does not seem to be reported often but somehow I like this diffuse bluish disk among the sharp stars around it, almost like a planetary nebula.

Indeed, Uranus looks a bit like that to me too, and in fact this is where the name 'planetary nebula' comes from. One of the most confusing names in astronomy imo. For a long time Herschel himself believed he had found a comet. I think it took 2 years before he publicly acknowledged that it was a planet, by which stage all his colleagues were in agreement that it was a new planet. Then he wanted to call it George :)

Uranus should get even better to view later in winter when it's higher in early evening.

Edited by Nik271
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

Indeed, Uranus looks a bit like that to me too, and in fact this is where the name 'planetary nebula' comes from. One of the most confusing names in astronomy imo. For a long time Herschel himself believed he had found a comet. I think it took 2 years before he publicly acknowledged that it was a planet, by which stage all his colleagues were in agreement that it was a new planet. Then he wanted to call it George

Thanks for the historic background. Well, George looked great last night 🤣

• Haha 1