Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn & c6-s xlt

Hi, i got my first view of saturn last night i could clearly see the moons and rings, but no detail on saturn also very small i have seen images taken with web cams with a 6" sct there seems to be more detail and bigger, also i used a 9.7mm ep with a x2 barlow 25mm but when i upped the mag it was dimmer a bit larger still no detail hope this makes sense. what should i be seeing with a scope of this size ?

luke

I observed Saturn using this exact scope a few weeks ago and saw much the same detail as you are describing.

I could easily make out the edge on rings and moons using eyepieces ranging from 40mm to 9mm.

An orangy colour but nothing more. Though, it was a little misty and Saturn was low in the sky.

Jordan

Hi Luke

I have the same scope. I've not had it that long, but I have seen some faint banding when saturn is higher in the sky and the viewing is relatively clear.

Either way, it's pretty spectacular.

Bear in mind that you will see far more with long/multiple exposure astrophotography than you can see with your eye by observing through the scope.

Check out the imaging section for examples. Obviously you can also crop and zoom.

Hi Luke

I have the same scope. I've not had it that long, but I have seen some faint banding when saturn is higher in the sky and the viewing is relatively clear.

Either way, it's pretty spectacular.

Hi, im glad you have had some good views, and i agree the views i did get are spectacular, although i think the conditions were not great last night

I've found that surface features on Saturn are generally much less contrasty than on Jupiter so generally not much is seen visually apart from an equatorial band or two although white spots have been known to appear from time to time. When the rings are better presented to us you have the challenge of Cassinis division and the crepe ring which is fun.

John

Archived