Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meteors from my UKMON setup

hi

Recently switched over from an all sky camera to a smaller FoV setup circa 90deg x 80 deg in effort to capture more meteors - was definitely a good move as managed to capture loads more! Below are a couple of recent examples from last couple of nights.

Built the cameras using guidance via Global Meteor Network / UKMON and raspberry pis. Each night it creates images and auto detects meteors as well as creates video timelapse - great investment and contributes to science projects :)

Jamie

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by jam1e1
  • Like 20

• 2 years later...

Thank you for posting these pictures 😃

I have only just heard about the Global meteor network (recent BBC Sky at Night episode) and I was interested to find out more about it.  Unfortunately I've discovered UKMON are currently out of stock of their camera kits, but now I've seen your photos, I don't want to wait!!  I'll try to make my own camera setup from scratch following their guide 😃 

If you have any advice, I would really appreciate you help,

thanks again 😃 

18 hours ago, Astr0Kaz said:

Thank you for posting these pictures 😃

I have only just heard about the Global meteor network (recent BBC Sky at Night episode) and I was interested to find out more about it.  Unfortunately I've discovered UKMON are currently out of stock of their camera kits, but now I've seen your photos, I don't want to wait!!  I'll try to make my own camera setup from scratch following their guide 😃 

If you have any advice, I would really appreciate you help,

thanks again 😃 

FYI there are many different options for imaging meteors out there right now. The choices can be overwhelming especially if you are new to this.

I'd strongly advise not rushing till you know what you want. For example, if your setup is automated/weather proof you'll catch many more meteors than if it were not, but that does add some expense and complexity. There are also advantages to recording video (like the UKMON cameras do) rather than taking still images.

I've personally started using the Sony a7sII (around £700-800 in lightly used condition) to record 4K footage of fireballs and meteors over the last 3 or so years, after many years of imaging meteors using long exposures, and much prefer footage over stills. This was probably my best catch so far, but my cameras have caught many fireballs (mostly small and/or far off) over the past few years despite being a mostly manual setup. Currently running 3 cameras, but eventually will add more and automate at least a few!

But also have a read through some of these threads (and check out the linked videos) to see if they give you any ideas:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/847691-meteor-capture-compilation/

http://sonotaco.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5391&sid=6736376521d75c1d5de36d6126ed0035

• Like 1