Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Original Skylux 70/700 and EQ2 clone mount

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is using the first version (blue metal dew shield) of this scope and its EQ mount? The scope was sold in Lidl in the early 2000s and by most accounts was a decent F10 achromatic refractor.  I'm interested in buying a used version. I'm primarily wanting it for the EQ mount: it seems to be an EQ2 clone and solidly built. Anyone using the mount with other scopes?  

Peter

12 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

This is the scope and mount in my signature pic. I am surprised that anyone would actually want one. The objective in mine was poor and the mount was rathewr wobbly.

I actually want to see if the mount will be up to holding a Celestron C-90 Mak I have but don't have a suitable mount for. If not, I'll sell it on, just seemed to get the impression that the mount was better than you would expect..

17 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I remember it had a 4mm eyepiece and the vibration was annoying with that eyepiece in use (x175).  If you pushed the C90 to its maximum usable magnification I imagine the result would be almost as bad.

The one difference using the Mak will be I'll be able to get to the same magnification with a 7mm eyepiece due to the longer focal length.. Skywatcher offer their 102 Mak with an Eq2 so maybe I'll be ok. I suppose the proof of the pudding will be to try it out 🙂 I'll report back anyway.

39 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Was it this mount that you were after:

Yes, that's the one. I actually went ahead and bought one - they are always coming up for sale here. A new Eq2 mount costs 199€ (and not even in stock) so if the mount works out with the Mak, I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

I bought the Lidl refractor Year’s ago. The ‘scope’s okay on low to medium powers, but shows some astigmatism on higher powers.

I now use the ‘scope as a Stage 1 mod for solar viewing. For the money, the ‘scope wasn’t  a bad deal. I quite like the EQ2 mounting.

• Like 1

Hi, so the scope and mount arrived yesterday: not bad as a unit but the mount is not going to work with the Celestron Mak - the prism 'shoe' is too light weight to risk the (relatively heavy) Mak.  Ah well. 

Clear skies

Peter

Edited by Peter_D