Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back Garden M31 Unguided - Startools Newbie

Hopefully this doesn't look too bad to all you AP pros!

Taken with a 200mm prime lens at f8, 800iso in Bortle 7/8 skies (no filters). 120x60s lights (best 100 used), 20 Darks, 50 Bias, 40 Flats stacked in Siril. First time using ST with a calibrated M31 and I'm quite pleased! I'm a total ST newbie so its a bit of a curve - I'd have liked to have brought out more colour in the galaxy, but couldn't work out how to do this without making the stars ludicrous!! 🤣.

Comments/feedback welcome. Thanks for looking.

Daz

M31ST0410.png

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

- I'd have liked to have brought out more colour in the galaxy, but couldn't work out how to do this without making the stars ludicrous!! 🤣.

Excellent image. I like colors the way they are (except for red halo on most stars - but that is the feature of the lens - still some CA left in there even at F/8).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

That's a nice image for anybody and if you are new to all this and with the bortle conditions and no guiding i would say an excellent image and you should be very proud of that 🙂 

Steve

Thanks Steve, that means a lot! It is literally my first process in ST using a 'properly' captured and stacked image with all fresh calibration frames - and a LOT of Youtube tutorials and reading of advice here! 😀

8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Excellent image. I like colors the way they are (except for red halo on most stars - but that is the feature of the lens - still some CA left in there even at F/8).

Thanks! Yeah, I'd read that to get a best out of a lens you need to go to mid F stop so it was either F8 or F11 - maybe F11 would've been better (?) - but then again, I only paid £20 for the lens on eBay...🤣

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Thanks 1