Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power leads for ASiAir and ZWO camera.

I’ve got an ASiAir on order and at some point will be buying a ZWO cooled camera.

As far as I can tell I need to use a 12v supply to both.

I will be connecting them to a 12v leisure battery but I’m struggling to find anywhere to get the necessary leads.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

• Like 1

You can power the camera from the ASIair. The ASIair pro came with the necessary cables to connect to cameras etc. So I assume the Plus does? 

You’ll need a cigarette plug to 2.1mm (better check this) centre positive plug to power the ASI.  Something like this  

https://cablematic.com/en/products/power-supply-for-car-cigarette-lighter-to-dc-jack-21mm-CM074/?cr=GBP&ct=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1q-y9-qt8wIVWpnVCh3P5AphEAQYAiABEgIUZfD_BwE

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

You can power the camera from the ASIair. The ASIair pro came with the necessary cables to connect to cameras etc. So I assume the Plus does? 

You’ll need a cigarette plug to 2.1mm (better check this) centre positive plug to power the ASI.  Something like this  

https://cablematic.com/en/products/power-supply-for-car-cigarette-lighter-to-dc-jack-21mm-CM074/?cr=GBP&ct=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1q-y9-qt8wIVWpnVCh3P5AphEAQYAiABEgIUZfD_BwE

Thanks but I thought to use the cooling on the camera it had to have a separate 12v supply however I’m probably wrong! 😁 

It might be best just to ring FLO tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I’ve just been and looked at the ASiAir Pro page, it can’t power the camera unless I’ve interpreted that wrong.

I’m not sure if that’s referring to the USB ports or the power ports.

Definitely ringing FLO tomorrow.

B6712D28-E94D-49FE-A7CA-2D3839370BFD.jpeg

Edited by BobInYorkshire

3 minutes ago, BobInYorkshire said:

I’ve just been and looked at the ASiAir Pro page, it can’t power the camera.

B6712D28-E94D-49FE-A7CA-2D3839370BFD.jpeg

That's talking about the 5v supply that comes through the USB ports. Some cameras will work when plugged into the a USB port only, but the cooling won't work. This is saying the 6200, 2600, 533 & 071 need more power and won't work like this, they need the 12v supply from the on-board power management (marked "DC 5.5x2.1 mm Power Output x4" in the image above the text you highlighted).

The ASIAir Pro & Plus have four 12v power output sockets to supply power to the likes of the camera, mount, filter wheel & focuser. So all you need is one 12v supply to plug into the ASIAir and it can be used to supply 12v to four other devices, as long as the draw doesn't exceed the max of 6A.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

That's talking about the 5v supply that comes through the USB ports. Some cameras will work when plugged into the a USB port only, but the cooling won't work. This is saying the 6200, 2600, 533 & 071 need more power and won't work like this, they need the 12v supply from the on-board power management (marked "DC 5.5x2.1 mm Power Output x4" in the image above the text you highlighted).

The ASIAir Pro & Plus have four 12v power output sockets to supply power to the likes of the camera, mount, filter wheel & focuser. So all you need is one 12v supply to plug into the ASIAir and it can be used to supply 12v to four other devices, as long as the draw doesn't exceed the max of 6A.

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I don’t like using mains outdoors but I use a 12V mains power supply to power mine using a 5m 12V extension line. Longer cables are available.  Mains is more reliable than battery packs. 

I’m the same in that I too don’t like using maims power outside. I have a 110ah leisure battery and one of these to power my mount and was thinking of adding the three way adaptor shown below that to power the ASiAir and the camera. It’s just getting the actual cable with the DC plug on the end that I’m struggling to find.

F642C6F6-C274-425F-BC97-B943372C8664.jpeg

10C4F18B-790B-4481-9482-E4370BF35E4A.jpeg

Edited by BobInYorkshire

Mains power is best if you can. I keep my electrics outside permanently in a waterproof box. A regulated power supply is then connected to a splitter. Finally, two Lynx Asto cables go from splitter to my ASIAIR Plus and to my mount.  A splitter is a good idea, but please don't go for the "Linkstyle" one posted above; from the picture I can see that the cigar adapter plug is a poor quality. The one I linked to is much better.

So, to directly answer the OP's question: these leads are the best ones you can get to power your ASIAIR; and then your camera can be powered via your ASIAIR using a cable that would have been supplied with the ASIAIR.

These DC power supply adapters should work too if going direct from a plug socket, but the cables look a little short to me.

Edited by Lee_P
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Mains power is best if you can. I keep my electrics outside permanently in a waterproof box. A regulated power supply is then connected to a splitter. Finally, two Lynx Asto cables go from splitter to my ASIAIR Plus and to my mount.  A splitter is a good idea, but please don't go for the "Linkstyle" one posted above; from the picture I can see that the cigar adapter plug is a poor quality. The one I linked to is much better.

So, to directly answer the OP's question: these leads are the best ones you can get to power your ASIAIR; and then your camera can be powered via your ASIAIR using a cable that would have been supplied with the ASIAIR.

These DC power supply adapters should work too if going direct from a plug socket, but the cables look a little short to me.

Brilliant, those are the leads I’ve been searching for, many thanks.

• Like 1