NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Image Processing Books

Hi Folks

Does anyone have any recommended books on Astro image processing? Being a bluff old traditionalist I prefer a good book to online tutorials in YouTube. I have a copy of Making Every Photon Count, which has been invaluable in getting me to the point of capturing plenty of data, but my efforts seem to be let down by my not understanding what I am doing within the processing activity. I use Registax to stack and Siril/Gimp to process but really don't understand what lies behind the various adjustments that these wonderful applications provide. I could do with something that covers both 'what' the manipulations do, as well as "how" to do them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

John

Not cheap but the best book I've seen by far is Astronomical Image Processing by Berry & Burnell. It comes with software but even without the disc it is worth it. I have the first edition.

It may not cover everything that you'll find in software, but it goes a long way and is the only source I've found that starts with the fundamentals.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...