Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light on the Starlight Xpress Oculus All Sky Camera

AMcD

I have installed a Starlight Xpress Oculus ASC on my RRO to aid remote operation of the observatory by giving me a live view of the sky conditions when I am away from home.   I tested it for the first time last night and was pretty pleased with the results.  As has been observed elsewhere, the software supplied with the camera is somewhat 'classic' so I have chosen to use AllSkeye as the operating software.   That software has a steeper learning curve but is in my view more powerful.  This is the first test AVI video produced from last night's test images.  The camera managed to pick up a couple of meteors notwithstanding the pervading cloud...

download.jpg.450bbbf16b083889a4c0d56aa7b44aae.jpg

• Like 3

The image from the oculus is brilliant, and AllSkEye software a must. I only had   a loan of the oculus for a couple of years whilst I did some data recording for an IDA application.  I’ve replaced it with a cheap home made version and to be honest it’s not a patch on the oculus. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

The image from the oculus is brilliant, and AllSkEye software a must. I only had   a loan of the oculus for a couple of years whilst I did some data recording for an IDA application.  I’ve replaced it with a cheap home made version and to be honest it’s not a patch on the oculus. 

I went back and forth on whether to buy one for quite some time given the price, but it certainly rewards the investment.  The build quality feels very solid as well and it was easy to re-wire to enable the built in 12v dew heater to be controlled via the Dragonfly relay.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, markse68 said:

Regarding Allskeye sw which i just looked up, it can detect meteors but can it selectively edit footage so it only saves the interesting bits or is that something you have to do post capture?

Mark 

I cannot immediately see a setting that permits the selective editing of footage 'live' as it were, but I have only just started to get to grips with the software.