Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I setup my Rotator in EKOS ?

I now have a motor driven rotator for the first time fitted.

I am running KStars/EKOS/Indi.

On the face of it all seems to be running correctly and I can use an old image in the sequence to use for the alignment and plate solving and it appears to work in that the align module takes images and slews the mount to the correct position as it always did, it also rotates the camera with the rotator to supposedly align the angle of the camera to be the same as in the image but the new images are not at the correct angle. They are out by a long way, and not 180 degrees, more like 60 to 80- degrees out.

Last night was my first try with the rotator and clouds did come to hamper the progress so not even sure if the error is repeatable and is always the same error in the angle of the new images.

I assumed it would use plate solving to determine were to move the rotator to to achieve the correct angle and would keep taking images and rotating camera until the images were at same angle (accounting for the tolerance allowed) just as it does with the mount for the normal alignment process.
And thats what it looks to do but nowhere near the correct angle.

Unless it takes the angle from the existing image, which could be wrong as it will have been taken without the rotator working but that doesn't seem to make any sense.

Or do I have to do some sort of calibration to determine an offset of my setup ?

Steve

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

You may already have seen this but just in case: https://indilib.org/focusers/pegasus-falcon-rotator.html

Thanks, no I hadn't seen that, mine is not the Pegasus rotator but the function of mine should be the same so I may get some useful info from this when I get time, many thanks 😉 

Steve

Well reading that I think I was doing everything right.
When setting up each parameter for the images in the camera module I open that rotator form and select sync FOV to PA, otherwise it doesn't even try to move the rotator when plat solving and I assume after the platesolve has finished it would then work out an offset of the position angle to the rotator angle so that unless you dismantle the image train it could rotate to the correct position much quicker and with les images it has to late solve to do so.

image.png.9ec2d114cf34b581a4e17e5328dce344.png

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang