SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wide field options

Clarkey

I am looking for some opinion from the SGL collective regarding imaging scope options. Currently my wide(ish) field imaging is done with a SW ED80 which is good but quite slow at F6.3 with reducer imaging at 510mm. I am considering the TS Photon 150mm F4 Newtonian as an upgrade. I just wondered what people opinions are of this option and whether there are better choices at a similar price point? Obviously I will need to collimate and there will be pointy stars - but I can live with these. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Samyang 135mm f2 lens gives lovely wide views, there's a thread on it

This or something very similar is definitely on my shopping list at some point as it certainly gives some great results - but for now I am looking for something of a similar FL as the ED80.

I would leave it as is and upgrade from 1600 to 2600.  The field will be wider and QE is 50% higher so that will get you the speed of acquisition.  And 2600MM will last you a decade.  Given that you already have RC8 /ED80 combo I don't think there are any low-hanging fruit out there.  I am pretty sure 150mm newtonian isn't it.

Last but not least, it's the last chance it seems to sell the 1600 for a good price.  Next year they will tumble due to being completely outclassed by the 2600, the word is out.

16 hours ago, licho52 said:

I would leave it as is and upgrade from 1600 to 2600.  The field will be wider and QE is 50% higher so that will get you the speed of acquisition.  And 2600MM will last you a decade.  Given that you already have RC8 /ED80 combo I don't think there are any low-hanging fruit out there.  I am pretty sure 150mm newtonian isn't it.

Last but not least, it's the last chance it seems to sell the 1600 for a good price.  Next year they will tumble due to being completely outclassed by the 2600, the word is out.

Interesting idea but I am not sure my current finances could justify the cost of a 2600. I would also need new NB filters and wheel for the larger sensor. I accept the 1600 is now getting a bit left behind but I still think I can get quite a bit going from F4 (or 3.5 with reducer) from F6.3.

Being into AP has now made me a poor person🙁🤣