Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optimum number of flats?

iantaylor2uk

Its worth doing more, but becomes diminishing returns. I take 25 each of darks and flats and never really had a problem with them not properly correcting in the stacked image. I suppose you would see an improvement doing 50+ but I suspect that the gains would be marginal and you would see much bigger benefits elsewhere like dithering more often, lower camera temperature etc...

Taking lots of flats or bias frames does not as a rule take much time, so I typically create 50 each, reducing the noise levels by a factor of about 7. That is adequate, I find. Less would probably work. Darks take quite a bit longer to acquire, due to the long exposure times. However, with fixed-point cooling, I can take darks whenever I like, so I just let the camera take 50 of them as well. Previously I used 30, and that also works well.

• Like 2

I'm in - "if it's not too much hassle then do it" camp and take x256 flats, x256 flat darks and at least x64 darks but often more - as those tend to be cumulative and you can add more if it's cloudy and you want to see if your darks changed significantly from those that you already have (which you do by just creating another master from new session and subtract from old master - if you get pure noise with average pixel value of 0 - you are fine).

My flats are very short - like 10ms range and it takes longer to download frame then to expose it (although I have CMOS cameras) as I have very strong flat panel. I never had issues that people experience with flats due to short exposure.