Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR imaging question

ronaldo999

Hi

i have a canon 10D and am just starting in imaging with my Celestron C6 XLT. Do i need to take any precautions regarding dew on the dslr. Do i need to cover the camera or is it ok in freezing temps? I have seen various covers and dew packages for cameras but is it needed.

I do realise that the camera may well be outside for several hours at a time. Any help appreciated

I only use a dew shield at the moment on the scope, again do i need dew control. I have never had a problem with dew but never really had a long viewing session.

Regards

Andy

Andy, on Saturday night, I used only the dewshield on the scope. I'm going to get some dew tapes but don't have them as yet and ended up losing a bunch of subs because of it. However, whilst the scope, camera strap and the pop up flash were dewed up, the rest of the camera was clear. I think the bigger issue is what to do with the camera when you bring it back in.

Andy,

Before I moved into the observatory I had the same problem.

Whilst imaging I would just drape a light cloth over the camera - face cloth or beer towel - can you still get them any more?

After the session keep a ziplock bag in your pocket, or anywhere where it will be dry and put your camera in it before taking it indoors. Most important ids to make sure that you put the body cap on.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,

there is no problem to use the 10D for hours in freezing temperatures outside.

I am doing this with my 10D for many years/winters now. out of my experience it works fine down to -20 Celsius.

Going indoors with the 10D at the end of the session, i never set any precaution actions.

Maybe you feel better if you put it in a bag when going inside, i had never any problem with not doing that.

I haven't taken any "special" precautions when bringing the gear back into the house after a long session outside.

Normaly the Pro level and to some extent the "prosumer" cameras and lenses are a lot better protected against moisture ingress than the lower end models.

Billy...

Archived