Ireland (or other EU) -based ordering from FLO

Hi, not sure what forum to post this in so hope it's ok here and hopefully someone can help.

I'm based in Ireland and since Brexit haven't ordered anything from the UK. Was considering making an order through FLO but wondered if anyone based in Ireland or elsewhere in EU has experience of import duties etc.

I've calculated what I think the costs should be. This is based on no UK VAT, then a 4.2% import duty rate (apparently this is Irish import duty rate for telescopes) applied to the total of the order cost exc. VAT plus the delivery costs. Then I add 23% (Irish VAT) to this total to get the total amount that I will have to pay (in GBP)

Has anyone got any practical experience of this? Assuming my calculations are correct, does anyone have experience of how you actually pay the Irish (or other EU country) import duty and VAT? Has it led to delays or unexpected costs?

Thanks

Edited by JunglistRex

I think your calculation is about right. There’ll be VAT to replace whatever UK VAT you got exempted from, Customs, and often an extra “Customs handling fee”. How you pay depends on the courier. From An Post, you will receive a letter saying “we have this delivery for you, ref no ABC1234567, please log on to our website to pay it snd we’ll release it to you”. UPS I think require recipient’s contact details ahead of time and send you an email to pay online in similar fashion; others IIRC deliver it to you with the driver producing a card reader and you pay at point of delivery.

I’ve just moved to Ireland from UK so am just finding all this out!

And my move unfortunately has all but killed off any likelihood of me being able to take much part in the Classifieds Section 😕.

Magnus

2 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I think your calculation is about right. There’ll be VAT to replace whatever UK VAT you got exempted from, Customs, and often an extra “Customs handling fee”. How you pay depends on the courier. From An Post, you will receive a letter saying “we have this delivery for you, ref no ABC1234567, please log on to our website to pay it snd we’ll release it to you”. UPS I think require recipient’s contact details ahead of time and send you an email to pay online in similar fashion; others IIRC deliver it to you with the driver producing a card reader and you pay at point of delivery.

I’ve just moved to Ireland from UK so am just finding all this out!

And my move unfortunately has all but killed off any likelihood of me being able to take much part in the Classifieds Section 😕.

Magnus

Same for me here in France put a stop to me and buying from the classified section. What was ironic on another note MIL received a photoframe from the UK of the grandkids UPS charged 40 pounds to deliver from the UK to France (glass content) this was in March then 2 weeks ago MIL received a letter from UPS that a charge of 30 euros is due for payment. The irony on a item of 40 quid.

Hi JunglistRex,

I bought a SkyTee2 Mount and tripod here form the classifieds section here and had to pay best part of 100E charges from what I remember. Its a pity there is no longer ParcelMotel, that used to help out with lots of things.

By the way, do I take that you are into Jungle music too?

23 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Hi Muc have you dark skies were you are

Bottle 6 or thereabouts where I am but I have places about half an hour away where its about 4 I'd say. So dark enough. Was on Dingle Peninsula a few days ago but the clouds joined me. Was hoping for some proper darkness around Slea head