Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27

astro mick

Hi.

The very popular Dumbell.This Planetary lends itself well to HOO.

It was taken with my ED 102 F7 scope with a x6 reducer and an Atik 314L+. It does,nt need the reducer,but too lazy to take it off.

It consists of 2.5 hrs in both Ha and O111 in 10 min subs.Both are Astronomik 12nm.

Calibrated with Bias and Flats.

Cheers.

Mick.

The Dumbell a.png

M27_Ha.png

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

A nice looking image Mick, with some very nice detail. One of my goto objects in the Summer, even easily visble from my light polluted back garden.

A quick stretch of data does show quite a bit more detail hiding in the background and nebula, including some of the fainter outer dust .

I am no expert by any means, but is the background a bit "black" maybe?

38 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I like the image, but where are all the stars?

Hi Vlaiv.

I eclose the stack of around 16 images of the Ha.As you see the stars are quite faint in some areas.I did not process the Ha and O111 with the stars,but used Starnet++ to remove them.

Theirfore the original image was unstretched untill starless.Then just put the stars back as were.Prefer to see the Nebulae rather than the stars.

Mick.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A nice looking image Mick, with some very nice detail. One of my goto objects in the Summer, even easily visble from my light polluted back garden.

A quick stretch of data does show quite a bit more detail hiding in the background and nebula, including some of the fainter outer dust .

I am no expert by any means, but is the background a bit "black" maybe?

Thanks Pete.

Yes it maybe a tad dark,but i basically brought the black point of the histogram of both colours up to just before the data.Maybe it could be backed off a little.Will have a look.

Mick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Hi Vlaiv.

I eclose the stack of around 16 images of the Ha.As you see the stars are quite faint in some areas.I did not process the Ha and O111 with the stars,but used Starnet++ to remove them.

Theirfore the original image was unstretched untill starless.Then just put the stars back as were.Prefer to see the Nebulae rather than the stars.

Mick.

I like tight stars as well in the image and think that processing nebulosity separately via Starnet++ is good approach for NB.

What confused me is presence of some of the stars while others can't be seen at all.

For comparison, here is similarly deep image (taken with UHC filter, so almost narrowband in nature) - showing plethora of surrounding stars:

image.png.60423002b03c3a4ca761756db32120a3.png