NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher heritage 150p focus

Good morning all, So finally after two nights of having the scope in my possession, and two nights of clouds and rain I finally got the chance to bust it out and point it towards the heavens and immediately was blown away with the views of Saturn and Jupiter. The question I have is about the focus on this scope, I'm wondering if there is an upgrade i can buy or diy so it's not so loose, I've already done the ptfe tape around the threads and it helps but isn't 100% . Any insights ?

3 hours ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. You could upgrade to a dual speed focuser which would make a great improvement.

Is there any way I could get you to link to what you're talking about ? I'm totally new to this hobby 😀 

Unfortunately there is no real way to upgrade the focuser on the Heritage 150p to a different one, not without some serious surgery. The dual speed focuser units are for the solid tube 'explorer' OTAs. 

Some have success with tying a piece of string around the top of the helical focuser, leaving two 3" or 4" long lengths hanging off to hold onto and move the focuser with. The idea being that it makes fine focus a bit easier and helps to prevent image shake as you're not touching the scope itself when focusing.

On my Heritage 130p I drilled and tapped an M4 hole in the top part of the focuser and screw in a 75mm long bolt which acted as a lever for helping with fine focus. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Unfortunately there is no real way to upgrade the focuser on the Heritage 150p to a different one, not without some serious surgery. 

On my Heritage 130p I drilled and tapped an M4 hole in the top part of the focuser and screw in a 75mm long bolt which acted as a lever for helping with fine focus. 

That is a great idea 💡.  I have the tap and I'll go to the hardware store and source a bolt , any chance I could see a picture of yours? Thank you 💯

5 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Perhaps there's a way to replace the  plastic focuser with a after-market metal one? 

https://www.svbony.com/SV161-1-25--Double-Helical-Focuser-for-Telescope-Guide-Scope-with-SV150-Adapter/#F9173A-W9113B

I did think about doing something like that with my H130p, would have needed to saw off the protruding part of the existing focuser and attach the new helical one somehow. Trouble was I couldn't find a suitable replacement as they mostly have very short travel. The one linked to has only 1cm travel. 

I ended up buying a TS optics 2" single speed Crayford and bodging it on, as detailed below. Worked well. 

Edited by CraigT82

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger-231 said:

Is there any way I could get you to link to what you're talking about ? I'm totally new to this hobby 😀 

If you get cold weather, like me in north ontario the focuser will tighten up nicely and work when most dont.  The plumbers tape is a good solution, with lots of wraps.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2021 at 13:40, Pixies said:

Perhaps there's a way to replace the  plastic focuser with a after-market metal one? 

https://www.svbony.com/SV161-1-25--Double-Helical-Focuser-for-Telescope-Guide-Scope-with-SV150-Adapter/#F9173A-W9113B

Not as a direct replacement but I have done something similar

I have a helical focuser which attaches by T thread along with a 1.25" to T thread adapter. It does help with fine focussing using the binoviewer as it's non rotating