Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GX12/GX16 2-pin cabling standards

savcom

Hi everyone

I'm in the middle of building my first power unit for my mounts to be able to use them in the field. I'm using one 12V car accessory socket and four GX16 2-pin connectors in an old metal Ammo Box (I'll pop a thread up when this is finished so you can all comment or suggest features for the Mark II).

My question here is this: What's the pinout standard for the GX12 or GX16 socket?  Helpfully, there isn't a standard in industry, although Skywatcher use the GX12 connector as a power feed for their newer, larger mounts (EQ6, EQ8 for example) so it makes sense to follow that standard in my build.

In the manual for the Skywatcher EQ8, there is a diagram of the socket and the cabling:

image.png.2042f39fefbfb1478b0aafb7a396ebdd.png

image.png.9368fc34e0a89c92611517109a283798.png

For the avoidance of doubt, is this view the view into the socket from the outside?

Or is it the view of the rear of the socket where you solder the cables?

Can anyone confirm which way round this is?  If anyone has a clear definition or a picture of the cabling that would help me enormously.

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Edited by savcom

Thanks @Dr_Ju_ju.  I was aware of the numbers, but without numbers on the diagram it's not safe to assume this is the right way round, as the numbers will change if you're looking into the socket, or if you're looking into the back of the socket.  If they'd printed the numbers on the diagram then great - we can all follow the diagram as things would be unambiguous.

Just to compound this, I found this post after a little more digging and it just about summarises the issues I am facing:

Short answer: There *is* no standard - even within Skywatcher. 😠

Looks like I'll go my own way and keep my cables specific.  At least, using GX16 sockets, I won't be able to plug a skywatcher into it without making an adapter cable up first.

The other approach would be to mimic the standard used on the cables that are commercially available.  Maybe I'll look these up and see if I can find which (numbered) pin goes to positive and which to negative.

Edited by savcom

With only two poles, you have to rely on the 'key' to ensure that the polarity is correct, so you could go to 3/4 pole connectors which would provide greater confidence on the polarity, and may even be useful for additional voltages/signals etc...

• Like 1

The power pinout diagram for the AZ-EQ6 is the same as your EQ8 diagram and I can confirm for the AZ-EQ6 that pin 1 is Ground. The drawn images are looking at the connectors from the front as if you're looking at the mount from the outside. It's convention to wire pin 1 to ground on multipole connectors, but not a rule.

The quickest way to check is with your multimeter on continuity check and power to the mount removed, check for a short on one of the two mount power pins to the mount metalwork, (one of the screws holding the power panel in place is ideal). The pin that's shorted to the metalwork is Ground.

Alan

• Like 3