NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Better seeing with a 180 Mak

Trevor N

Still working on processing but certainly better seeing that previous attempts. The mono shot was taken using a 685 filter which helped. lots of images to process yet and maybe enough for an animation. That will keep me amused !

Jup 685 mono Mak 180 22-08-21.jpg

JUP-180-mak-22-08-21.jpg

Edited by Trevor N
  • Like 4

Some good potential detail there Trevor!

I struggle with an IR mono filter with my 180 Mak - I wonder if this is because although an IR filter reduces seeing issues, it of course reduces the resolution quite a bit (factor 1.5 roughly). This may be less of an issue with a larger aperture, but maybe is an issue with only 180mm. Views?

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Some good potential detail there Trevor!

I struggle with an IR mono filter with my 180 Mak - I wonder if this is because although an IR filter reduces seeing issues, it of course reduces the resolution quite a bit (factor 1.5 roughly). This may be less of an issue with a larger aperture, but maybe is an issue with only 180mm. Views?

Chris

Thanks Chris. I’m not sure yet either. It’s all a bit new to me. The filter does seem to steady things down quite a bit. I’ve not processed them yet but I think I have some decent mono pictures of Saturn taken the same night. I guess it’s a balance of reducing the exposure rate compared with gains in better seeing. Trevor