Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some productive observing last night!

Barry W

I had a very good night. Arrived at Cattle Point (A recommended dark site by my local Centre of the RASC) @1830 and set up then relaxed until the skies darkened. Reviewed my books and planesphere for the plan. Had first light on Andromeda Galaxy finally. I picked up a fuzzy glow first in binos and then got it on the 36mm ep. Tried for better resolution by increasing the magnification - 25mm (FOV 1.08deg) was the best. Observed a “star” to the upper right in the FOV with some diffusion, and thought I had one of the other galaxies as well. Checked when I got home and it didn’t tie in to M110 - must have just been my eyes.

Had first light on the Crab Nebula as well. It was a fuzzy glow in the 36mm. again 25 mm gave the best view. It was faint, but clearly visible.

The Orion Nebula was fantastic. The clearest I’d seen it yet with a subtle green hue. I tried for the rosetta nebula, but had no luck. Star hopped around Orion, Taurus and Leo, then on to the double cluster between Cassiopia and Perseus. Fast meteor flew through the FOV just as I started to sketch (followed by a visit from the police and several minutes with the spotlight shining on me! - just as the website said!)

I finished the night with Saturn and three moons visible, Titan, Dione and Rhea.

My hands were a little numb by the time I finished. The dob took a little bump as I was striking down. Looks like I’ll have to give my first go at culimating the scope.

Cheers,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived