Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Satellite Streaks in long exposures

chemistorge

Hi,

While taking my first go at part of the veil nebula, I noticed that I was throwing out 10 % + subs to satellite streaks. (106x 120s).

5F48D8EB-A928-4932-9A42-186C3D0F459B.thumb.png.2d0a3a2cef1828540680d8da3bf79fe9.png

What is other people’s experience of streaks? Is it getting worse?

Edited by chemistorge
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, chemistorge said:

Ah, does that get rid of them?

Yes, you need at least a dozen or more lights for it to work its magic but if you stack sufficient lights they totally dissappear. I live underneath the flight path to an airport so planes are also a problem for me (and they are much brighter than satelites, but still are removed)

If your guiding then I recommend dithering, not only will it get rid of plane/ satellite trails but it'll also remove hot pixels (I may be wrong but there looks like a fair few in your image) and can help decrease the amount of fixed pattern noise but mainly in DSLR's. 

Have a look at the YouTube clip in this link  https://astrobackyard.com/dithering-astrophotography/

@Seelive Thank you for that, I am using DSS and do use kappa-sigma, I didn't realise it got rid  of them.

@nephilim I didn't guide because I get good tracking with 120 sec subs. I use around 40 darks and 40 flats, but I forgot to turn on manual dithering in Ekos, it causes issues if you try and guide with manual dithering set, so I turn it off (and forget to turn back on when not guiding). I do need more practise at processing. Only just got all my equipment working well together (ASI294mc, Astroberry (kstars/ekos), SW130p (modded with dual crayford electronic forcuser) and SW eq5 (AstroEQ mod).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nephilim said:

If your guiding then I recommend dithering, not only will it get rid of plane/ satellite trails but it'll also remove hot pixels (I may be wrong but there looks like a fair few in your image) and can help decrease the amount of fixed pattern noise but mainly in DSLR's. 

Have a look at the YouTube clip in this link  https://astrobackyard.com/dithering-astrophotography/

Dithering will not get rid of satellite/plane trails though. The dithering is done between each image so the satellite/plane trail will still be there. Stacking software such as DSS can effectively remove them though using the kappa sigma stacking lime has been mentioned above.

44 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Dithering will not get rid of satellite/plane trails though. The dithering is done between each image so the satellite/plane trail will still be there. Stacking software such as DSS can effectively remove them though using the kappa sigma stacking lime has been mentioned above.

@Chefgage I didnt realise that I'd just seen it written here & AstroBackyard tends to be pretty reliable?? Copied from the Website.... Dithering improves the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and can remove artifacts like hot pixels and satellite trails. Images shot with a regular DSLR camera can benefit from dithering, by helping to decrease the amount of fixed pattern noise.  

Edited by nephilim

1 minute ago, nephilim said:

@Chefgage I didnt realise that I'd just seen it written here & AstroBackyard tends to be pretty reliable?? Copied from the Website.... Dithering improves the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and can remove artifacts like hot pixels and satellite trails. Images shot with a regular DSLR camera can benefit from dithering, by helping to decrease the amount of fixed pattern noise.  

@Chefgage Although what your saying about it been done between imaging actually makes sense that it wouldnt remove them.

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

@Chefgage Although what your saying about it been done between imaging actually makes sense that it wouldnt remove them

I have found that yes, dithering helps reduce noise when using a dslr but certainly not removing trails from satellites and planes  (not sure why it is mentioned in that quote). I can only guessthat by having less noise the stacking software has an easier time removing the trails. Although i never delete any image with trails and dss removes them wether i dithered or not. 

• Like 1