NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M92 and deeper field galaxies - short stack WIP

GalaxyGael

A relatively short integration stack of M92 and some of the deep field galaxies. Lots of interesting galaxies in the background, even one that looks like a pair of cherries (left of the lower part of M92). Anyone know what this object(s) is?

Intes MN56 Maksutov Newtonian, ASI 2600 MC (gain 100, -10C), no flats or darks, 20 subs of 4 mins.

One I want to return to for a much deeper integration whenever the weather breaks. 

M92-crop-lpc-cbg-crop-lpc-cbg-csc-St.jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, GalaxyGael said:

Thanks Bryan, I have plate-solved it and annotated most of the galaxies on the upper left, but the little cherries object didn't come through.

Those who go very, very deep might pick up the recently discovered stellar stream.

New M92 stellar stream discovered (phys.org)

Cool link, thanks 

Are there the “cherries” 

1BE68259-F096-43DF-AB38-5CF0BCDC7A06.jpeg.f88b47deaeb811280499c1debef96d69.jpeg

Cheers 

Bryan 

44 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Yes, that's them. The came through in all the subs, but what I was looking for was the ngc number. 

I’ve no idea what they are but I’ve seen them on other renditions of the same area when doing a google image search 

For what it matters I think they look like a possible distant triplet of galaxies looking at other results with slightly higher resolution. But you would think they would be named if that was the case? 

cheers 

Bryan

So I ran a query on Aladin database and it pointed my to the 2 micron all sky survey. From there, coordinates of one or two of them popped up and I check on NED. Sure enough, one is a galaxy. It is either also an infra red source, or the object beside it is. Probably and interesting regions of three galaxies interacting, but not a lot of images from the long focal length folks on it.

aladin.jpg

galaxies.jpg

• Like 3

I've taken to using HNSky for investigations and planning. It turns up two PGC designations for the "cherries" . They do look to be connected in some images it seems to be unrelated fuzzies forming the "stalks"

image.thumb.png.298d73150bc8cd30413e457af2f35633.png

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 1