NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal 100 r/rs

If I had to choose between the two, I would take the RS - the later one with the 2" focuser.

I had both at one point, and I kept the RS, still have it in fact. Also, contrary to many opinions, I found the RS lens to be slightly better. Having said that, they're both good.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

I thought the objective and coatings on the 1st generation TAL 100 (RT) were a little better than the later one that I owned but the early version focuser has limited travel and is 1.25 inch only while the later versions were a big improvement in that department.

On balance I think the later version would be the one to go for.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I have the 100r and optically its a very good 'scope, no quibble. However as John and Roy have pointed out the RS with the 2" focuser opens up the options.  Related to this, the 100r  diagonal is connected to the focuser in an unusual way rendering the use of alternative diagonals impossible without some expert re-engineering.  I don't think the RS is the same,  someone might want to clarify that, so its worth being aware of that. The 100r diagonal is OK but if there is an issue with it at some point then it will be a problem. All that said if you can get a 100r in nice condition at the right (low?) price and you accept for what it is, a vintage scope with great optics,  then I doubt if it will disappoint. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alfian said:

I have the 100r and optically its a very good 'scope, no quibble. However as John and Roy have pointed out the RS with the 2" focuser opens up the options.  Related to this, the 100r  diagonal is connected to the focuser in an unusual way rendering the use of alternative diagonals impossible without some expert re-engineering.  I don't think the RS is the same,  someone might want to clarify that, so its worth being aware of that. The 100r diagonal is OK but if there is an issue with it at some point then it will be a problem. All that said if you can get a 100r in nice condition at the right (low?) price and you accept for what it is, a vintage scope with great optics,  then I doubt if it will disappoint. 

Agree re diagonal for the R. Any 1.25" or 2" can be used in the RS.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roy Challen said:

Agree re diagonal for the R. Any 1.25" or 2" can be used in the RS.

Is the diagonal attachment to the focuser in the RS different to the R, that is can you swap out/in any other chosen  diagonal?

5 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Is the diagonal attachment to the focuser in the RS different to the R, that is can you swap out/in any other chosen  diagonal?

Yeah, for the version with the 2" crayford focuser that's certainly the case.

I read that some early RSs had a different focuser, but not many tubes seem to have been fitted with them. Most RSs I've seen have the 2" crayford. 

• Like 1