Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M1 MacBooks for Photoshop

I am looking at replacing my 5yr old MacBook Air and am stuck as to whether I should go for the MacBook Air or the 13inch Pro. I would be using it for editing my images (often 80-100mb file size) on photoshop when I manage to get the telescope outside (not as often as I would like to, British weather and University work gets in the way). 

Which of the two is the better option? 

The processor and GPU in the Air and Pro is exactly the same, provided you go one step higher than the base-model Air.  The base-model has a 7-core GPU and everything else has an 8-core.

The only difference between the two machines otherwise is the size of the battery (the Air has a smaller battery) and the fan (the Pro has one, the Air doesn't).  The performance difference between the two is only really a thermal difference and the fans on the Pro take a few minutes of intensive use to kick in, e.g. for film rendering.  In most cases the Air will be roughly the same as the Pro unless you're doing a lot of very heavy lifting in Photoshop.  I'd recommend getting a 16GB of RAM model regardless.

Hope that helps!

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus