NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting EQ8 mount directly to PC

astrognosis

I have a Skywatcher EQ8 mount I bought it new a year ago now from FLO and I'm in the process of setting it up at last.

I wish to operate the mount directly from a PC and bypass the hand control and if possible leave the hand set unconnected to the mount.

I also wish to control the mount via Astroart.

I think I'm correct in believing that I can use Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB Adapter for Sky-Watcher Mounts to plug directly into the mount and usb end into PC.  Is this correct, if so where do I plug the other end - into the socket where the hand controller went?

The adapter I refer to is:

(https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.htm)

I would be grateful for some guidance and any uploads/updates  I must  carry out.  I think the Astroart7 would recognise Ascom -skywatcher mount?

Regards,

Eric

Yes that cable can be used for an eqmod setup and plugs into the socket the handset is currently plugged into.

The Lynx cables are good quality.

However, some of the newer Skywatcher mounts now have their own USB ports so you can use a USB printer cable directly, wold work the same as an eqmod but cheaper and uses a faster baud rate (not sure how much that helps). The only downside if you have the port is that the eqmod cable, like the handset cable, will click in place. The USB cable can come out a lot more easily.

If you have a USB printer cable, just connect it to the mount (powered on of course) and your PC and check that a com port is added to your devices.

Old eqmod connections use 9600 baud and the on mount USB tends to be 115200 baud.

Oh, and find a nice drawer for the handset to live and welcome to SGL.

Steve