NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

good allrounder

if you want an "allrounder" an 8" dob (or even a 10") - the mak will be poor on dso's cos of its long focal length and the 100ed will not be great on dsos either too cos of its smallish aperture. Both are apparently great scopes in their on right but i wouldn't call them "allrounders" although the 100ed is probably closer than the mak.

You'd see more in the Mak due to it's larger aperture but the lack of a central obstruction on the refractor will give better contrast and more asthetically pleasing views. Personally, I'd say the Mak is a better all-rounder but without a reducer you won't get wider-field views.

If you want a scope that is more a jack of all trades, then a reflector in the 6"-8" reigon would be a better bet.

Tony..

I would go for the refractor. I had an 8" Dob and found it gave good images but was cumbersome, difficult to store and move. My observing site is not too good for Dobs due to obstructions that a taller tripod allows me to observe around. Thinking about an ED or Mak for my next scope so would be interested to hear how you get on.

Regards

Yeah, everyone says get a Dob but I want something I can get out of the house in 5 mins for the odd hour and can also easily take in the car

In which case I would get the ED100. The 127mm Mak is an excellent scope but Mak's have quite a lot of glass in them and need much more time to cool down before you can get really good images. Refractors on the other hand cool quickly. My "grab and go" combination is a 4" refractor on an alt-azimuth mount - I can have that out the door and in use within 30 seconds (and back in again just as quickly when the clouds roll in !).

John

just been out with the bins and it's pretty good here tonight

I wish.

Cloud, cloud, cloud, cloud...

IMHO I'm with John on this. If portability is important, go with the refractor. It's the old adage that the best telescope is the one you use the most. My 80ED can be up and running in minutes. The SCT, unfortunately takes quite a while to cool down, and therefore requires cloud cover anticipation...

Having said that, when it's cool, even a 6" SCT is very impressive.

A dob (bigger the better) will give spectacular views. If you have somewhere to store it, and the ability to move it, then it'll be great.

Went out with the Mak last night. It didn't seem to take too long to cool down (1/2 hour) but then it wasn't very cold out.

Have a look at my thread on the Astro Lounge (New telescope) to see what I managed to see.

Andrew

Archived