Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron focus motor control

I have Celestron's focus motor fitted to my C8 and I've been using it quite happily at the telescope with the Nexstar+ handset and a cable splitter. However, my AP laptop is in the warm room of my observatory so I'm quite keen to be able to control the motor remotely.  I know I can fit a USB 2 (printer) cable and operate the motor from my laptop but what I'd like to know is whether or not I can keep the Nexstar+ handset plugged in at the same time as I do my alignment at the scope and I still do a fair bit of visual observing anyway. 

Graeme

48 minutes ago, jacko61 said:

I have Celestron's focus motor fitted to my C8 and I've been using it quite happily at the telescope with the Nexstar+ handset and a cable splitter. However, my AP laptop is in the warm room of my observatory so I'm quite keen to be able to control the motor remotely.  I know I can fit a USB 2 (printer) cable and operate the motor from my laptop but what I'd like to know is whether or not I can keep the Nexstar+ handset plugged in at the same time as I do my alignment at the scope and I still do a fair bit of visual observing anyway. 

Graeme

I control my AVX using CPWI (either directly, or as the driver for other software) - this includes control of the Celestron focus motor. I use the Skyportal wifi model. You can also connect your laptop to the mount via the handset - either directly with a USB cable if your handset is the newer version with the USB port or via a USB to serial adapter.

Edit: if you just want basic focuser control, Celestron also have some software for that as well.

Edited by Shimrod

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I control my AVX using CPWI (either directly, or as the driver for other software) - this includes control of the Celestron focus motor. I use the Skyportal wifi model. You can also connect your laptop to the mount via the handset - either directly with a USB cable if your handset is the newer version with the USB port or via a USB to serial adapter.

Edit: if you just want basic focuser control, Celestron also have some software for that as well.

Thanks for the Shimrod. I have various remote focuser software on my laptop already and it works fine. What I'm needing to know is whether or not I can have the handset AND the remote usb2 plugged into the focusser at the same time so I can do my alignments (and visual observing) at the scope then do any AP at the laptop.  Just wondering if having both cables in at the same time will cause any electrical or logic issues

Graeme

3 hours ago, jacko61 said:

Thanks for the Shimrod. I have various remote focuser software on my laptop already and it works fine. What I'm needing to know is whether or not I can have the handset AND the remote usb2 plugged into the focusser at the same time so I can do my alignments (and visual observing) at the scope then do any AP at the laptop.  Just wondering if having both cables in at the same time will cause any electrical or logic issues

Graeme

I have controlled mine from both laptop and hand controller, but that is with both devices connected to the mount (I prefer the tactile control for the focuser to a touchscreen laptop). I have not tried connecting the laptop directly to the focusser.

I don't use the handset at all now - bought an xbox controller (some compatibles will also work) and use that while standing at the telescope to slew and focus. Might we worth considering if you don't want to risk trying to connect both devices.