Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Western Veil

My first attempt of the Western Veil nebula, taken over the last couple of nights. Total integration time was about 3hr 20 min, taking 5 minute subs, and I took about 20 flats and bias frames. The equipment I used was my HEQ5, Evostar 80ED and modded Canon 600d.

Not going to win any awards, very noisy with some banding also. Also not convinced my processing skills is up to scratch, but relatively happy with the final result as I'm only starting out.

Any advice on how to improve from here is welcome, I'm guessing the recent hot weather doesn't help with the noise levels of the 600d! 

Dafydd

NGC6960.png

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

how to improve

Lovely shot.

For targets like these with the blue-green stuff, we use a UHC filter. They're only cheap items and bring the nebula to the fore. Keep your existing frames to restore star colour.

600d banding: dither and take more frames to even the background.

Cheers well done and HTH

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, alacant said:

Lovely shot.

For targets like these with the blue-green stuff, we use a UHC filter. They're only cheap items and bring the nebula to the fore. Keep your existing frames to restore star colour.

600d banding: dither and take more frames to even the background.

Cheers well done and HTH

Thanks😊

I actually did dither for this image, I'll try a larger and for frequent dither next time to see if this helps.

I have also just got a new uhc filter, so I will try to add some data with the filter when I can. How would I go about combining the data?

Thanks for the advice👍