Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power mate 4x

Hi guys

Currently on my hols in sunny Wales

Managed to bring my ed80 triplet and have some amazing views of Jupiter and Saturn. First time I have ever seen the bands in Jupiter so very pleased

I am using my 17.5 , 9 and 4.5 mm Morpheous eye pieces which look amazing but I wanted to try my televue power mate 4 x but try as I may I cannot get it to focus its close but no where near as good as the morpheous on their own.

Any tips to setting these up? 

With a 4x powermate you are pushing the limits of seeing with that scope and eyepieces.

Even with the 17.5mm , powermate gives an effective 4.4mm eyepiece 

This is around x100 for a 470mm scope which with the planets so low down is a high magnification in the conditions

The others give about 2.25mm equivalent so about x200

And 1.1mm or near x 450

Just too high magnification in low wobbly air so will look smudged/out of focus.

In cold clear air with the planets high ( in a few winters time) you may be fine at x250.

Powermate x4 is more commonly used for video capture of the planets where best frame stacking can generate a good final image. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fifeskies said:

With a 4x powermate you are pushing the limits of seeing with that scope and eyepieces.

Even with the 17.5mm , powermate gives an effective 4.4mm eyepiece 

This is around x100 for a 470mm scope which with the planets so low down is a high magnification in the conditions

The others give about 2.25mm equivalent so about x200

And 1.1mm or near x 450

Just too high magnification in low wobbly air so will look smudged/out of focus.

In cold clear air with the planets high ( in a few winters time) you may be fine at x250.

Powermate x4 is more commonly used for video capture of the planets where best frame stacking can generate a good final image. 

Thanks 

I was comparing the 4.5 morph with the 17.5 and the 4x together. The 4.5 morph smashes it on its own where as the 17.5 with the 4x was poop

All makes sense tho extra glass is going to make things tough

I would always expect the single eyepiece to give the better view rather than the longer eyepiece with the 4x to obtain the same magnification.

The short single is designed for that focal length after all.

The extra weight on the tube with the 4x will probably affect the mount too , and ends up longer so more wobbly.

I have a powermate , just the 2x, visually I often just prefer a short focal length eyepiece on its own as well.

They do make their mark when it comes to imaging however, which is how I tend to use mine.

Edited by fifeskies