NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What star tracker should I get?

I'm not currently planning on buying one but I am planning of buying one at some point, and I was wondering, what star tracker should I get? I wanted something for my 130p which is 4.2kg but best 'recommended' star trackers support up to 5kg, which is not enough for my telescope and a dslr. Are there any good options that support my telescope? If not then I'll have to buy a different telescope 😕 My budget is around max 450 eur maybe

I think you will struggle both in terms of weight and focal length for the 130p. (Are there also not focus issues with DSLR and the 130p?). I think you would be better to get a camera lens or two second hand and a tracker. This is really what they are designed for. A small scope would be an option - plenty use them for this - but you will need to keep the FL length down and it is unlikely you will get anything within your budget.

In terms of the best option, there are plenty of reviews on the You Tube etc, but I think they are similar but it depends on your needs and personal preferences.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will be along soon with first hand knowledge.

• Like 1

Thanks, sorry for late response, I would love to get a lens but they are so expensive. I cpild possibly by saving up buy a star tracker in a year but not lense, that's unfortunate, though I might try to get some second hand lens, I have 55mm lens myself but they don't zoom much, which is only good for the milky way not even andromeda

Edited by Lotinsh

21 hours ago, Lotinsh said:

Thanks, sorry for late response, I would love to get a lens but they are so expensive. I cpild possibly by saving up buy a star tracker in a year but not lense, that's unfortunate, though I might try to get some second hand lens, I have 55mm lens myself but they don't zoom much, which is only good for the milky way not even andromeda

Hi Lotinsh.

@callisto has a skyguider pro for sale on this site for a bargain price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lotinsh said:

Are they still for sale? I think im too late and anyways I don't have the money at the moment, I have like 60 bucks but I could get like 300 in a year possibly, thanks for the offer anyways 

You missed it.

I am using the Skywatcher EQM-35 PRO with an 8 inch newtonian, with cameras and extras mounted it weighs in at around 9kg. Dont do what i did and buy a mount that technically should work, its a huge pain in the backside and i lose the majority of my exposures to different unsolveable problems.

Now the 130mm newt is a lot lighter but it is still a big chunk of metal and will be difficult to balance properly. Wind and vibrations will be an issue with any sized newtonian too. I think a mount like the EQM35 or EQ5 will be decent for you, but not without frustration. I would not buy a barely within limits mount again if i could go back in time.

• Like 1