NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Upgrade Motors Query

Peter_D

Peter,

You are paying more in the second option SynScan goto upgrade. Yes they are stepper motors and more torque plus you have the added advantage of the handset goto feature as with the the other version you have to use the hand controller to move the scope albeit it does a  ST4 port for guiding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter_D said:

Quick question: are the motors in the Skywatcher EQ5 GoTo upgrade kit more powerful than those in the non GoTo kit?

Hi Peter,

Yes the motors in the Goto kit are much more capable than the dual-axis tracking motors.

The dual-axis motors are adequate for tracking & for short slews to centre targets in the eyepiece. People who have tried to use them as a basis for diy Goto systems have found that they can only slew at a maximum of 50x to 60x siderial rate, which is useless for the long slews that you need for Goto's. Slewing from one side of the sky to the other could take nearly 15 minutes!

The proper Goto kit will slew at 600x to 800x siderial.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will have to upgrade my motor kit as I've added a bit of kit to my planetary / lunar SCT set up and it just seems to have crossed the boundary where the old non-Goto motors can handle it adequately.

You should first check for problems elsewhere, as the reduction gear ratio is such that even a weedy motor will exert quite a degree of force at the RA or Dec axis.  My EQ5 handled a 9Kg newtonian OK with a RA drive, and if your kit weighs more than that, you need a bigger mount, as the nominal limit of this mount for visual is 9Kg.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Geoff. I have a Vixen GP - I'm using it with a de-forked 8 inch Meade SCT for planetary. It's been ok thus far but I included a flip mirror in my set up that has probably just made the movement arm just that little too long. So my option is to get the EQ5 upgrade Goto soon or keep saving for a HEQ5.