Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ5 Dovetail Saddle

I recently purchased a Sky-Watcher AZ5 mount to use with my 100ED Refractor. Basically I wanted a quick and easy grab and go and I wanted to do a bit more star-hopping alongside the Go-To'ing.

I've set it up for the first time today.....I don't do much observing in the summer, so haven't used this mount yet. I've noticed that the saddle is a static solid unit that is quite a bit wider than the dovetail attached to my scope....the whole assembly appears to rely on the one grub screw screwed onto the dovetail!!......I find this quite disconcerting. So my questions are:

1. Have I missed something during the setup process? or is this how it is designed?
  2. I find the huge world of dovetails very confusing........Is there a correctly sized dovetail that will fit more snuggly into the saddle (and an SW 100ED Refractor)?......or even a replacement saddle?

Apologies if I've missed something obvious.........I do have a habit of doing just that!!.....🤥

I'm using the AZ5 with a C80ED and with the grub screw all the way out (effectively removed), the scope can't fall out of the dovetail laterally. It can slide along it's length, but not sideways - if that makes sense. Once the screw's fastened it's secure.

• Thanks 1