Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lens upgrade advice please

Hello all,

Had a great session last night! Blown away by views of Jupiter amd, finally Saturn!

Using the stock eyepieces with the scope (finding 10mil the best) I feel I'm ready for an upgrade.

Was trying to see M31 (Andromeda galaxy) but really struggled and didn't manage, I guess this is too must to expect from the basic setup?

Anyways...my main quandary is, I'm off camping in the Exmoor dark skies reserve on Friday afternoon. So, would really like to know if I'm best getting a Barlow X2 and a BST 5mill eyepiece?

I know there's lots of threads on this topic, have trawled them and this seems the best option. Just wanted to double check, in a rush! I know that's not the best way to do these things but wanted to make sure I get the best I can out of this weekends opportunity!

My budget is £100 for both.

TIA.

18 minutes ago, Xgaze said:

Hello all,

Had a great session last night! Blown away by views of Jupiter amd, finally Saturn!

Using the stock eyepieces with the scope (finding 10mil the best) I feel I'm ready for an upgrade.

Was trying to see M31 (Andromeda galaxy) but really struggled and didn't manage, I guess this is too must to expect from the basic setup?

Anyways...my main quandary is, I'm off camping in the Exmoor dark skies reserve on Friday afternoon. So, would really like to know if I'm best getting a Barlow X2 and a BST 5mill eyepiece?

I know there's lots of threads on this topic, have trawled them and this seems the best option. Just wanted to double check, in a rush! I know that's not the best way to do these things but wanted to make sure I get the best I can out of this weekends opportunity!

My budget is £100 for both.

TIA.

Personally, I would be looking for a longer focal length EP rather than a shorter one. Under dark skies, a wide field eyepiece can give lovely punchy images; over-magnification is a real risk if you use a too short eyepiece, and a wider field of view can give you the pleasure of seeing things in relation to each other. 

I think you have a Heritage 150 - which is an f5 scope. 

A general rule of thumb is that most of the time you won't get excellent views with an eyepiece shorter than your f ratio - so although a 5mm eyepiece might be useful - a 2x barlow and the 10mm is likely to give you as good a view as an affordable 5mm EP. 

An alternative to a 2x Barlow is a cheap zoom lens - the SVbony 7-21mm is nice and light, and has a decent range - a relatively narrow view at 21mm, but nice images as the power increases. 

That and a 32mm Plossl would be my suggestion - of course, other people would have other suggestions.  

ETA - oh, and M31 is amazing in its ability to underwhelm.  It is so broad, and relatively featureless so it just looks like a misty smear in most cases (overall, what you see in photographs is 6x the diameter of the moon, so you only get the central bulge in the eyepiece view, and that's fairly featureless unless you're under a very dark sky when you might be able to make out the hint of some lanes) 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 1

+1 for the 32mm Plossl and 7-21mm zoom. I tend to start a session with my 32mm, and then the zoom. The zoom is particularly useful, with Jupiter & Saturn, for getting the best compromise between magnification and clarity of view.

Geoff

• Thanks 1

Hi , good advice from above ... a dark sky cannot be used just for planetary ... you simply MUST view the wonders of wide field . I would use a 32mm EP for that . The zoom EP is an acquired taste but would serve you well for planets . Looking forward to your happy report of your viewing :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

When I said "I've trawled through the EP topics" I clearly hadn't really given enough attention! 😆

From your advice I have gone ahead and purchased a StarGuider 8mm EP and also, after considering the, much appreciated, replies above. Also purchased a 32mm Astro Essentials Super Plossl. 

It now makes sense to me that a wider view in dark skies would be beneficial.

Hope these two EPs are a good choice!?

Am aware that the 32mm is an affordable type but reviews seem to think there well worth the money?

So, holding off the Barlow (budgets blown for now!🤑) I'll keep and eye out for a good deal or second hand one, if anyone sees one, please let me know.

Many thanks,

T

• Like 2