Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam Astrophotography

Hi, this is my first post and am an astronomy newb!!

I am getting a SkyMax-127 SupaTrak AUTO (f/1500) 5 inch (127mm) Motorised Maksutov–Cassegrain with Auto–tracking. I would like to use it to try out a bit of webcam based astrophotography but have gotten a little confused over the issue of which webcam to use, I've also read that you need to modify the cam's circuit board aswell, is this true.

With regards to the actual webcame I've found that a lot of the recommended ones are now no longer available for example the Logitech quickcam 3000/4000. I have found a Logitech 3500, but cannot find any info on if this one would be suitable for astrophotography, does anyone have any experience with this cam?

Hi GB

My understanding is that you can use just about any web cam - you only need to mod it if you are agter deep sky objects and you want to bring out the red end of the spectrum - for planets and stars then unmodded is usually fine - what you DO need though is some way to attach your web cam to your telescope - this is why most people use the older cameras, because the convertors are readily available

If you can find a convertor then it'll be fine - I just dont know of one for that camera :(

Hi GB, some minor modding maybe required, but it is more to do with how the camera attaches to the scope eye piece holder as Philf says, rather than the circuit board. You may need to remove the front lens assembly, this can be as simple as unscrewing it from the main cam body. You will then need what is known as a nose piece, which is really a tube with the correct thread to attach it to the web-cam replacing the original lens assembly. the nose piece is 1.25" diameter and so just fits into the telescopes eye piece holder. that's how simple it could be, provided you can find, buy or manufacture the nose piece. this set up is ok for planets and the moon. The circuit board mods are for doing deep space imaging. Hope this helps a little.

Have fun.....

Hi there,

The easiest cameras in my experience to modify for Astro-use are the SPC900 from Philips. The lens unclips, and you can get an adaptor from Astro-Engineering which screws straight into the front.

Have a look here for info: http://www.astronomylog.co.uk/2007/07/13/how-to-add-astronomy-adaptor-to-the-philips-spc900-webcam/

Cheers,

Richie

Archived